Neurodiversity support for engineers

It seems that I missed much of the discussion that took place a year or two back on neurodiversity and how firms can support neurodiverse members. What I haven't seen in the discussions and the associated report is what the IET itself does to support such individuals.

I did raise a query on one of the discussion groups a few years ago, as to how characters like Turing and Tesla would have fared in IET registration interviews. The discussion was side-lined onto their technical abilities and somewhat glossed over how their neurodiversity might have worked against them. Does the IET make any recognition of individuals differing social abilities when it is assessing them? 

Parents
  • Hi Alex, glad you've raised this. We certainly do recognise that people experience the world differently, and absolutely recognise that the professional registration process presents barriers for many engineers. We're working both internally and externally to address this. A couple of things to do: we'd love your input on our Neurodiversity Member Network -- we meet virtually every 8 weeks or so. You can email inclusion@theiet.org if you're interested. So that I don't mention anything sensitive here, I can also ask our EDI team to jump on this thread to provide some better information about the work I've mentioned above. Hope that's helpful for now and look forward to more discussion on this thread. 

And, rereading your post, how Turing and Tesla might have fared is a really great way to frame the discussion. Will ponder that, too. 

• Hi Alex, glad you've raised this. We certainly do recognise that people experience the world differently, and absolutely recognise that the professional registration process presents barriers for many engineers. We're working both internally and externally to address this. A couple of things to do: we'd love your input on our Neurodiversity Member Network -- we meet virtually every 8 weeks or so. You can email inclusion@theiet.org if you're interested. So that I don't mention anything sensitive here, I can also ask our EDI team to jump on this thread to provide some better information about the work I've mentioned above. Hope that's helpful for now and look forward to more discussion on this thread. 

And, rereading your post, how Turing and Tesla might have fared is a really great way to frame the discussion. Will ponder that, too. 

Children
No Data