Neurodiversity support for engineers

It seems that I missed much of the discussion that took place a year or two back on neurodiversity and how firms can support neurodiverse members. What I haven't seen in the discussions and the associated report is what the IET itself does to support such individuals.

I did raise a query on one of the discussion groups a few years ago, as to how characters like Turing and Tesla would have fared in IET registration interviews. The discussion was side-lined onto their technical abilities and somewhat glossed over how their neurodiversity might have worked against them. Does the IET make any recognition of individuals differing social abilities when it is assessing them? 

Parents
  • Does the IET make any recognition of individuals differing social abilities when it is assessing them? 

I suspect, from my experience, that the answer is no - but I only see the process as a PRA, not as an assessor / interviewer so there may be a different answer. However it also begs another question "Do the differing social abilities of individuals affect their assessment by the IET for professional registration?" It would be interesting to know if this question has been / does get reviewed. 

That said, and I'll admit this is only semi-anecdotal, I've been mentoring applicants through the process for probably over 20 years now, and PRA'ing for 7. who have covered a very wide range of issues. I've never come across a problem in this - e.g. on your specific point my experience is that the process doesn't expect any level of social skills beyond a basic ability to communicate technical information. (And I suspect the opinion of the draftees of UK-SPEC would be that it is a requirement for professional registration that the applicant can effectively communicate technical information.) I think any engineering manager will say that they have certain staff who, for example, they wouldn't "put in front of a client", and who may spend their working days almost completely isolated. But I have equally seen such staff get through the professional registration process just fine. (And indeed, I have come across interviewers / assessors whose social skills I would not necessarily rate highly! Only in the past of course Laughing)

Getting really anecdotal now, probably the applicants I've seen who've come closest to struggling with the process are those who maybe exhibit ADHD - the process itself does require a level of patience, concentration, and attention to detail. Now I suspect again the UK-SPEC draftees would say those are essential engineering skills, I can see this one a bit from both sides - there are brilliantly intuitive engineers who drive change and improvement even if they are relying on others to do the detailed delivery aspects (I'm a huge fan of Belbin team roles!). Again, provided the process looks for "sufficient" rather than "world leading" abilities here that's ok, and again in my experience it's not generally been a problem, but it is probably (anecdotally!) where I've seen problems come closest. I have seen applicants drop out of the process where I've wondered if there may be an ADHD element...but again I suspect the assessors may feel that if they can't cope with this process they may not be suitable for registration.  

So none of that is to say that we shouldn't be continuously reviewing and checking that there aren't unintended biases in the processes (perhaps particularly in the presentation / interview process), maybe someone more involved on that side will see this thread and comment.

Personally I'm just very glad that when I applied (in 1998) there was no requirement to apply in handwriting, I show symptoms of mild dyspraxia, which amongst other things means I find handwriting challenging. Which in turn meant I spent much of my early career (pre computers) being told by certain senior engineers that I was incompetent due to the untidiness (and indeed often absence) of my written work. So yes, I very much appreciate the question...it's classic KPI stuff, are you sure what you're measuring is really the right thing to measure for what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Andy

• Does the IET make any recognition of individuals differing social abilities when it is assessing them? 

I suspect, from my experience, that the answer is no - but I only see the process as a PRA, not as an assessor / interviewer so there may be a different answer. However it also begs another question "Do the differing social abilities of individuals affect their assessment by the IET for professional registration?" It would be interesting to know if this question has been / does get reviewed. 

That said, and I'll admit this is only semi-anecdotal, I've been mentoring applicants through the process for probably over 20 years now, and PRA'ing for 7. who have covered a very wide range of issues. I've never come across a problem in this - e.g. on your specific point my experience is that the process doesn't expect any level of social skills beyond a basic ability to communicate technical information. (And I suspect the opinion of the draftees of UK-SPEC would be that it is a requirement for professional registration that the applicant can effectively communicate technical information.) I think any engineering manager will say that they have certain staff who, for example, they wouldn't "put in front of a client", and who may spend their working days almost completely isolated. But I have equally seen such staff get through the professional registration process just fine. (And indeed, I have come across interviewers / assessors whose social skills I would not necessarily rate highly! Only in the past of course Laughing)

Getting really anecdotal now, probably the applicants I've seen who've come closest to struggling with the process are those who maybe exhibit ADHD - the process itself does require a level of patience, concentration, and attention to detail. Now I suspect again the UK-SPEC draftees would say those are essential engineering skills, I can see this one a bit from both sides - there are brilliantly intuitive engineers who drive change and improvement even if they are relying on others to do the detailed delivery aspects (I'm a huge fan of Belbin team roles!). Again, provided the process looks for "sufficient" rather than "world leading" abilities here that's ok, and again in my experience it's not generally been a problem, but it is probably (anecdotally!) where I've seen problems come closest. I have seen applicants drop out of the process where I've wondered if there may be an ADHD element...but again I suspect the assessors may feel that if they can't cope with this process they may not be suitable for registration.  

So none of that is to say that we shouldn't be continuously reviewing and checking that there aren't unintended biases in the processes (perhaps particularly in the presentation / interview process), maybe someone more involved on that side will see this thread and comment.

Personally I'm just very glad that when I applied (in 1998) there was no requirement to apply in handwriting, I show symptoms of mild dyspraxia, which amongst other things means I find handwriting challenging. Which in turn meant I spent much of my early career (pre computers) being told by certain senior engineers that I was incompetent due to the untidiness (and indeed often absence) of my written work. So yes, I very much appreciate the question...it's classic KPI stuff, are you sure what you're measuring is really the right thing to measure for what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Andy

Children
  • I can only imagine how Alan Turing presented in such situations, based upon the various accounts, movies & stage plays about him. We know less about Tesla's personal qualities.

As to handwriting, I'm with you on that one. Sadly as I spend my day near keyboards, I do find handwriting increasingly difficult. It was never good, but I'd consider it today as decidedly bad. I would say that this applies specifically to writing, and less to other manual tasks. I should sit down and write a certain amount every day, by way of practice, but life is too short.