Continuous Variable Transmission for Hybrids?

Can anyone tell me where I can find an answer to the question - "Why do Hybrid electric vehicles need a Continuously Variable Transmission gearbox when BEVs do not"

Parents
  • I’m not sure that I can give a definitive answer, but I can add to the information.  An electric motor can have high torque from zero revs throughout the revs range so an all- EV does not need a gear box.

There are two types of hybrid, “parallel” or “serial.  In a parallel configuration the wheels can be driven by both an electric motor and a petrol motor, that also charges the battery.  As the petrol motor drives the wheels directly it needs a gearbox to keep the engine revs within the acceptable torque range similar to a non-electric car.   In  a “series” hybrid, the electric motor drives the wheels directly so does not need a gearbox.  The battery provides power to the electric motor and is charged by a petrol generator (the “hybrid” bit).  This motor is constant revs for efficiency so does not need a variable gearbox.

David

• I’m not sure that I can give a definitive answer, but I can add to the information.  An electric motor can have high torque from zero revs throughout the revs range so an all- EV does not need a gear box.

There are two types of hybrid, “parallel” or “serial.  In a parallel configuration the wheels can be driven by both an electric motor and a petrol motor, that also charges the battery.  As the petrol motor drives the wheels directly it needs a gearbox to keep the engine revs within the acceptable torque range similar to a non-electric car.   In  a “series” hybrid, the electric motor drives the wheels directly so does not need a gearbox.  The battery provides power to the electric motor and is charged by a petrol generator (the “hybrid” bit).  This motor is constant revs for efficiency so does not need a variable gearbox.

David

Children