By 2033, will Human-Level AI decision making be regarded as 'trustworthy'?

So why is it important to the Engineering community that the AI decision making needs to be equipped with a universally accepted value system (ethically driven) and not 'something else'?

How artificial intelligence will transform decision-making | World Economic Forum (weforum.org)

#ResponsibleAI

Parents
  • It is an interesting question, and even more interesting reading some of the responses. It is correct that AI does not have a conscious, but that does not mean that ethics cannot be trained into it. Is it the right thing to do to instil ethics? I would have to say yes.

Now though I think yes, this is obviously not a simple space to solve, especially picking up on point that was made surrounding varying ethics around the world. There are several national frameworks that have been put in place, of which some are laws and other just guidelines, to ensure AI is ethical. It is important that these are done at a generic and national level. The reason for this is similar to the difference between personal values and the law. If you were as an individual trying to instil your own ethical values, this is something that should not be done, as how do you know your personal beliefs are correct at a generic level? Personal beliefs differ greatly, and what you would not want is many systems differently biased on every single person’s values. However, if these ethics are implemented at a higher national level, it’s the same as laws, everyone should be following these regardless of individual beliefs (obviously not trying to get in a political debate of the ethics of some laws around the world). This should be done to ensure fundamental rights are not breached, especially within AI. It is fascinating to see how similar some of the guidelines, acts and laws that are forming for a lot of countries are, and this does need to be done.

There is then a separate argument about how these systems are used, and this is similar to every tool already out there. Tools of any sort may be legal and ethical on its own, but people can misuse it and intentionally cause harm, think of malware, cyber-attacks, even physicals tools have the same issue! This needs to be thought of as a separate, but still very important, issue!

• Hi Kirsten. Very insightful comment on AI ethics. I am curious to know if you are involved in UNESCO or any of its activities or programmes related to AI ethics ? 

• Hi Kirsten. Very insightful comment on AI ethics. I am curious to know if you are involved in UNESCO or any of its activities or programmes related to AI ethics ? 

Children
  • I am unfortunately not involved in those activities. I just actively engage and keep up to date with these type of topics within the AI realm to ensure that the wider implications and implementation of AI, such as ethics and safety, is as much of a priority as the development within the work that I undertake. Especially as I work within the defence sector.