Why do some 10A IEC320 jumper cords use 6A rated cable?

I have known for some time that when buying IEC320-C14 to IEC320-C13 jumper cords that some are supplied manufactured from 0.75mmsq cable 6A rated even though the connectors are rated at 10A.  How is this permitted?

It is rarely made obvious that the cable is rated to 6A and in some cases states 10A rated connectors with 0.75mmsq cable.

I note that in a lot of cases cables <=2M in length are made from 0.75mmsq cable but over 2M are 1.0mmsq (10A rated).

I can see that in a lot of cases that the type of equipment that these are connected to would never take 10A, but this is not guaranteed and does not seem safe to me.

Take this as an example:-

Single phase 3KVA UPS fed with power from a 16A IEC309 (Commando style) to an IEC320-C19 lead.  This is fine.

The UPS output has 8x IEC320-C14 connectors in two banks of 4, each bank protected with a 10A device.

The load is a pretty hefty piece of IT equipment which can pull a peak of about 2.2KVA (9.5A), but it is being fed with a 2M IEC320-C14 to C13 cable with 0.75mm cable (6A rated). 

What are your thoughts on this?

Parents
  • If it was a 13A UK plug , you'd probably fit a 5A fuse.

Here it relies on the knowledge of the user/installer to select an appropriate gauge of cable. As noted most things with that kind of  inlet connector draw a lot less, and actually an even thinner cable would probably be OK electrically in many cases - mechanical strength becomes an issue. 

Note that cable rating is not a simple figure - 0.75mm2 copper  will be fine for 10A  as singles in free air (car makers consider wire of that size as rated  to 14 A), but as a 3 core flex in free space at 10A it will indeed run noticeably warm. Even at 6A, in an enclosed space running warm you could have trouble over time with the cores migrating through soft plastic if there are sharp bends.

But even a 1.25mm2 cable will not handle 10A in the centre of a a tight bundle when surrounded by  several other fully loaded cables - so installers need to be aware that 'tidy' installation with cable ties holding many cables in bunches like so much rope, actually requires considerable de-rating.

.It is not clear to me that a 'ban' on 0.75mm2 cables would do much other than lead to an even greater  waste of the planets scarce resources. What probably is lacking in some areas is the educational information that allows installers/users to make that judgement as to what cable type and installation method should be used in any given case.

Mike.

• I think the comment "it relies on the knowledge of the user/installer to select an appropriate gauge of cable" is probably where most of the issue lies. 

These cables, in an IT environment, are just thrown in a box to be used later and there could 0.75mmsq and 1mmsq all mixed together.   Most IT people (and perhaps installers?) would probably just use the first one they pick up, which might not be suitable.  I have actually seen this issue a few times in the past.

I think to me what is more concerning is that purchasing 'proper' 10A rated cords is becoming more difficult as price seems to be the driving factor.

I have also seen cables of this type which I believe were using cores containing aluminium - but that is a whole other discussion!

What it really boils down to is that I want to make sure what I do is safe and I try to use 10A cables everywhere. The problem occurs when later others use a 6A cable on a UPS output which could eventually cause a fire.  The first reaction would be to blame the "UPS installation"...

• I have seen this before.  I normally order the cables from APC when I order/spec the UPS unit.  However on site I have seen all types of strange cable being used on the back of a UPS into servers and other kit.

A good way around this is to have one cable from the back of the UPS (correctly rated) into a 4/6/8/10/12/16 way PDU (Power Distribution Unit) then use the standard cable on the server into it.  However this is not always the best answer if the UPS has a network card which allows the ports on the rear to be power cycled. 

• I have also seen cables of this type which I believe were using cores containing aluminium - but that is a whole other discussion!

Hopefully not aluminium in flex - aluminium is rather brittle, and unless coated with another metal tends to oxidise creating high resistance at joints. Tinned copper is still common (even though the original need - to protect the copper from sulphur in the rubber insulation - as mostly disappeared) - and can easily be mistaken for aluminium. Sometimes you see copper clad steel in some communication cables these days - which of course has much higher resistance for the same c.s.a. and is generally to be avoided.

- Andy.

• The first reaction would be to blame the "UPS installation".

And if that installation  includes inadequate cabling, it is entirely fair.

The wider question is who is selecting and installing the inadequate cables, or perhaps why did management allow unskilled folk to do that at all  ?

Mixed leads may well be thrown in a box, but that is a (perhaps accidental) choice to take that risk if the next step is to use unskilled persons who cannot read the writing on the cables to plug leads in.

And as I noted earlier so called '10A' leads can be just as problematic at currents well under 10A  if poorly routed.

Its not the absolute amps that matter, its getting the heat out.

If you are worried about your liability, guarantee your work only when used with the labelled  leads you have supplied  (be they 1mm2 copper or whatever).

Mike.

• The C13 to C14 was used back in the day to power the monitor from the PC.  That is why some are at a lower Spec.  It just happened that the same C13 to C14 works or should I say fits the holes for a UPS to Server type arrangement.  Personally I would look at changing the name.

C13 to C14 PC to monitor

C25 to C26 having the same form factor as above but with a higher AMP rating.  Thus confussion no longer.

I think that is one for the IEC320 department to get written up for the next amendment possibly

• C25 to C26 having the same form factor as above but with a higher AMP rating.

Why when C19/C20 already do that job (and without the confusion of using the same connector for different ratings). Larger size UPSs intended to power PDUs or similar come with C19 outlet for the purpose - I think the C13 outlets are intended for directly feeding individual items of equipment - which are unlikely to draw more than a few hundred Watts each, at least for any sustained length of time.

- Andy.

• C25 to C26 having the same form factor as above but with a higher AMP rating.

Why when C19/C20 already do that job (and without the confusion of using the same connector for different ratings). Larger size UPSs intended to power PDUs or similar come with C19 outlet for the purpose - I think the C13 outlets are intended for directly feeding individual items of equipment - which are unlikely to draw more than a few hundred Watts each, at least for any sustained length of time.

- Andy.

Children
No Data