Requirment specification tool for small scale projets (free and open source)

Good afternoon, 

I am trying to formalise my work as part of a new role in a new company. The role was vacant for a long time and there is not much structure around me. I am trying my best to manage projects and avoid scope creeps by drafting requirements based on the discussions I have with my internal customers. Discussions are very often fuzzy and it is not rare that after a month, something comes up on the table, because the internal customer only formulated his wish orally in a corridor and thought I accounted on his comments. My background is very generalist, and  I am looking for a low cost, easy to use solution, that can be understood by a wide range of staff. I guess that if money and time were not an issue I would onboard using IBM rational DOORS, but price is too prohibitive.

I have tried to share the spreadsheets that contains the requirements, but this is always ignored. Also the use of the spreadsheet is not convenient and quite segregated from my other working tools.

I am doing mostly hardware design, but also some software.

I am therefore looking for a software solution that would:

1) help to capture the requirement specifications

2) allow to share the requirements with the customer

3) Have a freeze of the requirement, agreed with the customer.

4) Have a validation plan

5) Have some compatibility with other project management tools (e.g. MS Project)

6) Ideally open source and maintained

7) Ideally Free, or small fee license

Do you have any suggestions?

Parents
  • The issue with not using a formal tool is that you introduce risk. The question you need to ask is if the cost of the potential risk outweighs the cost of using a formal tool. What would project failure mean to the organisation, whether that is a cost or timing overrun (which is the usual consequence of scope creep) or a lack of perceived quality which can often be the case if you have missed requirements.

There are other tools, and some are less expensive then DOORS (and some more).

It is also more important to have a rigorous process when you are using informal tools as the tool can make it easier to spot mistakes (but sometimes it helps you make mistakes faster, so the tool is not a solution in itself).

That said, its quite feasible to capture requirements in a word processor or a spreadsheet. Although the companies I have worked for have been using formal tools for some time, this has not always been the case with our customer and they have supplied the stakeholder requirements in a variety of formats. Despite the fact those customers were not using a formal tool, those projects did succeed.

I would say that items (1) to (4) above are about your process and are completely tool agnostic. (5) you will only find with the big tools I'm afraid, and usually part of an entire PLM tool set. However, by being consistent with naming you can tie a project plan to a requirements set, its just the checks to make sure it matches is manual.

If you have smaller projects and its a challenge to elicit the requirements, sometimes the model based systems engineering (MBSE) practices are useful. But those are not something you learn overnight.

Regards,

Mark

• Projects need to be planned and costed well in advance and site checked for possible defects or problem areas to eliminate risk.

First write an introductory paragraph on project with expected results and its uses in the future to the owner.

Stress that all work and materials used must be in compliance with accepted international specifications and standards and quote any that are particularly important to your project.

Next prepare the drawings of overall project showing as much detail on an Ordinance Survey plan + items as possible

Then mark on all critical information as to orientation of structure, special materials marked on in text clouds.

THIS PLAN IS CONTRACTUALLY CRITICAL AND MUST BE TOTALLY CORRECT IN EVERY DETAIL

Prepare a bill of quantities, their costs, delivery and order time + costs

Main Contractor to issue a schedule of work with key benchmark dates including start and finish dates

Draw up terms and conditions of contract  "The elements of a contract include identification of scope of works, offer, acceptance, consideration, competency and capacity, and contract legality."  Fidic is used for large contracts and included clauses for extras or delays and cancellation procedures 

• I struggle to see the relevance of this comment to the original post especially as that refers to an internal project and not one using external contractors.

However, the concept of a good plan and cost model is very valid.

• I struggle to see the relevance of this comment to the original post especially as that refers to an internal project and not one using external contractors.

However, the concept of a good plan and cost model is very valid.

Children
No Data