Using touchscreens for basic controls in vehicles.

I didn't realise that vehicle dashboards had degraded so far Anguished

Testing rules require car makers to ditch touchscreen for physical buttons for top rating | Engineering and Technology Magazine (theiet.org)

I still have proper switches for all except the heating/aircon.

Parents
  • My ten year old car has buttons for the heating controls and I have to look down to see which of a row of buttons, which have no sensory indicators, I need to press and look at the display to see what direction I have selected for the airflow as the one button cycles them. Buttons are not the answer.

I read that BMW have made their controls easier to use in the new cars. One has to ask why they made them difficult in the first place.

My old Saab 9000 claimed to have ergonomic controls and I have to say they were intelligently grouped and easy to use without looking. 

Being an old fogy I do despair at the success of design over function in most aspects of modern life.

• My ten year old car has buttons for the heating controls and I have to look down to see which of a row of buttons, which have no sensory indicators, I need to press and look at the display to see what direction I have selected for the airflow as the one button cycles them. Buttons are not the answer.

I read that BMW have made their controls easier to use in the new cars. One has to ask why they made them difficult in the first place.

My old Saab 9000 claimed to have ergonomic controls and I have to say they were intelligently grouped and easy to use without looking. 

Being an old fogy I do despair at the success of design over function in most aspects of modern life.

Children
No Data