Alternative Fuel for Electric Cars - Is there one on the way?

The use of Petrol and Diesel is still most convenient but will electric driven cars ever replace them?. I think that a more acceptable replacement will and must be found; what is going on behind closed doors?.. 

Jaymack

Parents
  • There will be a place for EV's going forward, but certainly not as the "Only" solution to vehicles on the road as central Gov would think.

Yes, battery technology will improve and consolodate eventually, same applies to the charging infrastructure nationwide.

There are however lots of other things going on large advances on Hydrogen technology, so a number of HGV companies and fleet operators and also large smaller vehicle fleets going to Hydrogen already. That way the Hydrogen storage or generation plant can supply Hydrogen dispensers operated by competant persons to fill up the HGV or van within a controlled environment. Personally I do not see Hydrogen vehicles and refuelling happeneing at all for the public.

Lots happening with synthetic fuels globally, basically its Methanol with additives, so just search on e-fuel and you will find plenty info. To me that will when they can scale up a real game changer as transport, delivery, storage and dispensing of those e-fuels can in most cases use the existing hydrocarbon petrol systems we have at the moment, also cars with a euro 4 engine or better I believe can just start running on e-fuel without any adjustments.

Everyone speaks about EV's but look at all the other items that use combustion engines, i.e boats, outboard motors, small generators etc for plant machinery, would they all just suddenly go electric?

Cheers GTB

• would they all just suddenly go electric?

I think that is the dream of the less gifted political types, but I agree with you that the answer is no. There may be a mixture of battery swaps, much like the current refueling o changing of gas bottles that currently occurs, in those places well enough connected that it makes sense,  Some things probably won't happen at all and others will get really novel solutions- computer controlled sail boats perhaps,

Hydrogen is not a source of energy as such, but it is a jolly handy way to store it and pipe it about. Not perhaps risk free, but then neither are petrochemicals (Buncefield fire anyone?.). You do have to be able to make the hydrogen however, and maybe that can be from wind energy at times of over production, but a quick beer mat level sum shows that is not likely to be enough for more than a very small fraction of the current vehicle fleet. so perhaps more needs to go by train.

Making hydrogen as we do now, from natural gas, is not a long term solution, as we may as well burn the gas direct, but it does allow the technology for burning it and storing it to be optimized now.

I think folk who expect a simple 1:1 substitution and magically everything can carry on as we are now, have not really grasped the full magnitude of the problem.

Mike

• boats, outboard motors

Less newsworthy perhaps than electric cars, but yes, these have been quietly going electric for some time - it must be about 10 years ago that I bought my first electric outboard. Makes perfect sense on a boat where weight often isn't your biggest concern. And much more peaceful. And does actually start when when you need it too! (Funny how conventional outboards decide they don't want to start just as you realise you got the tides slightly wrong and they're turning against you...)

• Morning Andy,

I agree with you, as an avid angler and Secretary of one of the oldest angling associations in Scotland. Electric outboards again got a place on still waters and some reasonable sized lakes/Lochs.

However on what we call the "Big Puddle" Loch Lomond is the only area of inland water classed as the open sea. Simply because at five miles wide and twenty five miles long, with the wind in the right direction the wave patterns can get up to 15Ft, so traditional fishing boat is 18Ft or larger. I really dont fancy a full day out on the electric outboard, they are ok for when its calm and positioning on a drift, but going into a strong wind and wave end up going backwards.

Modern fourstroke outboards far more reliable than the old Sea Gull engine of the past though.

Cheers GTB

• Morning Andy,

I agree with you, as an avid angler and Secretary of one of the oldest angling associations in Scotland. Electric outboards again got a place on still waters and some reasonable sized lakes/Lochs.

However on what we call the "Big Puddle" Loch Lomond is the only area of inland water classed as the open sea. Simply because at five miles wide and twenty five miles long, with the wind in the right direction the wave patterns can get up to 15Ft, so traditional fishing boat is 18Ft or larger. I really dont fancy a full day out on the electric outboard, they are ok for when its calm and positioning on a drift, but going into a strong wind and wave end up going backwards.

Modern fourstroke outboards far more reliable than the old Sea Gull engine of the past though.

Cheers GTB

Children
No Data