Demand for used, large gas generators and accompanying tri-gen assets. Is it seen as worth it to buy used?

Hi All,

I have a pair of 2.5MW CUMMINS gas reciprocating generators that have been decommissioned for various reasons, including the associated absorption chillers and waste heat recovery boilers (Nothing to do with the assets themselves) and am looking for industry feedback on whether it is worth pursuing sale of such items, or should we just cut our losses and sell them for scrap? The engines both only have around 1,000 hours on them and are 11 years old.

I ask because I had a client years ago in London who had very similar pair of used Caterpillar engines they couldn't sell after nine months so ended up cutting them up and selling them for scrap. They had a tight deadline though and were up against abatements if they weren't gone, and it was in the middle of the global financial crisis. 

Before I embark on a time intensive (government) procurement process, I was hoping to get feedback based on experience within the community on whether the current market, or any other influencing factors, would mean I'm wasting my time in trying to sell or exchange such niche assets. Is there actually appetite out there for anyone to buy used generators, or any tri-gen assets of this sort of size? I've only had verbal leads so far which haven't gone anywhere. And CUMMINS themselves have just recently shut down their only global used asset sales branch which was here in Australia (So they tell me)! 

Thanks in advance, all feedback welcome.