600v 3 phase machine in the UK

Hello 

I have been asked by a client to install a milling machine in a mill that has come from Canada and operates at 600v 3 phase. The machine comes with a 400v to 600v transformer. 

Are there any main considerations to take into account if this was to be installed? 

thank you. 

• Check on the power frequency - if Canada is like the US it's likely to expect 60Hz rather than our 50Hz - which might have have a knock on effect on a number of things, not least the speed of 3-phase motors.

Also the transformer may well have a large start-up current - often D-type MCBs or over-rated fuses would be called for - with implications for Zs and so circuit length/c.s.a. etc..

- Andy.

• Thanks Andy

• Is it CE (or UKCA) marked for use in the UK, and conformant to BS EN IEC 60204-1 and other relevant machinery standards? If not, then there may be some issues with alignment with the safety provisions in EU standards - in terms of machinery, this relates to health & safety legislation in particular.

• Is the transformer one advised by the makers ? - the sizing will make some assumptions about the duty cycle of the load, and inrush/ pssc Just taking the kva ratng of the machine and saying I need a transformer for that, may not be good enough - though it might.

The frequency of the original design, assuming for local use will indeed be 60Hz although if VSDs are involved then it is probably academic though Induction motors however may benefit from the voltage being on the lower side of the 10% tolerance to run cool at 50Hz.

.  Note 600V is more of a Canadian thing (bigger place longer distances I suppose) Industrial US practice is more often 277 /480 for big stuff,although it is nothing like as standardized as the 230/400 world as there are several 3 phase standards used in different sorts of places. Although of course 350/600V is sometimes seen in north America,- but rather like 690V in Germany but not here, it is something rare to remark upon.

Expect makers literature to mention Orange Brown and yellow phase rotation wire colurs and the  colour coded conduit stripes by voltage groups and other things we do not do

http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca/Content/docType486/Production/26_05_53B.doc

Alberta rules for example. Other places will be similar.

Mike