BS 61439 scope

Hi all,

BS 61439-1 scope states that 

This document applies to assemblies only when required by the relevant assembly standard as follows: – assemblies for which the rated voltage does not exceed 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC; – assemblies designed for a nominal frequency of the incoming supply or supplies not exceeding 1 000 Hz; – assemblies intended for indoor and outdoor applications; – stationary or movable assemblies with or without an enclosure; – assemblies intended for use in connection with the generation, transmission, distribution and conversion of electric energy, and for the control of electrical energy consuming equipment."

The definition of a low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assembly assembly is given in section 3.1.1 as "combination of one or more low-voltage switching devices together with associated control, measuring, signalling, protective, regulating equipment, with all the internal electrical and mechanical interconnections and structural parts, as defined by the original manufacturer, which can be assembled in accordance with the original manufacturer’s instructions" 

Note 2 states "The term “switching device” includes mechanical switching devices and semiconductor switching devices, e.g. soft starters, semiconductor relays, frequency converters. The auxiliary circuits may also include electro-mechanical devices, e.g. control relays, terminal blocks, and electronic devices, e.g. electronic motor control devices, electronic measurement and protection devices, bus communication, programmable logic controller systems. "

So, my question is, to what extent does this apply? If a contractor purchases an empty terminal box, installs a terminal role and then some terminal box for a through connection should this then be verified to this standard?

The auxiliary circuits does phrase seems to come out of nowhere with no clear point? If the terminal box assembled by a contractor does not fall under this scope then what governs this?

Thanks all

Parents
  • If a contractor purchases an empty terminal box, installs a terminal rail and then some terminal box for a through connection should this then be verified to this standard?

Yes, kind of,  expect the work to meet the relevant bits of the standard, but I'd expect him/her to self assess and only for the relevant clauses,  and the whole process to take about 5 minutes. Basically so long as after all work has been done on the box, which has to be suitable to begin with of course, and the IP rating is still met, the covers still need a tool to expose any dangerous parts, and the terminals are mounted in a way the makers intended,  that does not encourage flash-over or other failures, and terminations are appropriate for the cable size and current ratings involved, then job done. Its a pass...

I'd certainly not be requiring certification from a formal testing centre, which may be more what you are thinking of.

Mike

• Thanks Mike Thumbsup tone1, not sure what happened with my autocorrect there, for anyone else it's supposed to read "If a contractor purchases an empty terminal box, installs a terminal rail and then some terminals for a through connection should this then be verified to this standard?"

• Thanks Mike Thumbsup tone1, not sure what happened with my autocorrect there, for anyone else it's supposed to read "If a contractor purchases an empty terminal box, installs a terminal rail and then some terminals for a through connection should this then be verified to this standard?"

Children
  • Ive adjusted the quote in my post - now if you adjust the original Q I can delete this post .... (edit is a option under the 'more' next to 'reply') - you can of course only edit your own posts ;-)

M