Siemens SITOP Power Supply - Connecting 0V of two PSU's

I am currently in training to become an electrical design engineer. I am looking for advice on connecting the 0V of 24V Power Supplies together. For example, I have a machine with two Siemens SITOP PSUs and wondered if connection the 0V together is a good idea or not. I have had a lot of different opinions on this subject, so just curious.

Parents
  • In the general case (I'm not familiar with these specific units), be careful if the outputs are in any way connected to the supply side - e.g. if the output is referenced to supply PE or even supply N - or if the design doesn't provide galvanic isolation from the supply side, and if the two units could be supplied from different circuits. Tying potentially two different supply circuits together could have "interesting" results. Even if the 0V rails are just referenced to the incoming Earth, your link might be exposed to a portion of the a.c. earth fault currents should one of the supply circuits suffer an Earth fault, unless some precautions are taken.

- Andy.

• In the general case (I'm not familiar with these specific units), be careful if the outputs are in any way connected to the supply side - e.g. if the output is referenced to supply PE or even supply N - or if the design doesn't provide galvanic isolation from the supply side, and if the two units could be supplied from different circuits. Tying potentially two different supply circuits together could have "interesting" results. Even if the 0V rails are just referenced to the incoming Earth, your link might be exposed to a portion of the a.c. earth fault currents should one of the supply circuits suffer an Earth fault, unless some precautions are taken.

- Andy.

Children
No Data