Consumer Alert concerning placing Solar Panels on roofs

The Florida government recently issued a warning that placing solar panels on residual roofs may cause the owner to  lose his/her annual hurricane property insurance starting later this year.

Our hurricane season starts June 1, 2024. 

It has been highlighted in numerous insurance news articles that a "leading indicator" for climate change will be the inability to obtain property insurance  in high risks areas. 

• Do you have any details? My attempt at Googleing the subject seemed only to to return stories of how well PV panels in Florida survived Hurricane Ian....

- Andy.

• Hello Andy:

The press release was issued by Florida CFO Jimmy Patronis on 5/1/2024.

Contact Communications@MyFloridaCFO.com

Peter 

P.S. There also appears to be an informal rule that solar panels should not be placed on Metal roofs.   

• Hi Peter Slight smile

What's the 'question' you're asking here? 

• Hello Lisa;- Someone at the IET incorrectly changed this thread from "Climate Change" to "Wiring regulations -BS7671". This is a "Climate change" related item.

The point I was indirectly making was that lack of insurance appears to be a "leading indicator" for climate change, and State policies are being developed to keep the economy active. Florida has a "state run" property insurance company of last resort. It is currently populated with about 1.5 million households which is an excessive risk to the state. They are trying to off load this risk to commercial insurers by allowing them to offer higher priced policies. However over the years most have gone bankrupt due to increased hurricane strengths and numbers. Without insurance one can not get approved for a home mortgage. This directly effects the construction industry!

The second thread is that the state has to approve the residual rates for electric power. We have flat rate charging and when solar power is created on home roofs and pumped back into the grid (meter effectively runs backwards) the home owner gets full price. However the power companies loses money as it does not cover their distribution costs which are very high because of hurricane storm damage.

So the State is trying to indirectly prevent excessive installation of residual solar panels. The big companies are busy installing very large solar farms in the state to get rid of any old coal powered systems.

I hope this partial explanation (I haven't even talked about the impact of high interest rates on this housing costs) resolves your question.

Peter  

• Hi Peter

Ahh I see, it's more a point for discussion than a question as such. I'll change the format for you. 

Apologies for the incorrect placing of this post. It is still tagged with the Climate Change tag as you mention but It was originally posted in EngX Q&A which is for questions related to using and how to use EngX. I'd meant to move it into the Engineering Discussions forum where it belongs but must have selected the Wiring Regs forum by mistake. I'll move it to the right forum now. Slight smile