Combustible backing on kitchen white goods

The Hotpoint FF175BP Refrigerator made in Italy was the source of the Grenfell Tower Fire.

The fire apparently started in the electronics unit, then spread to the Refrigerator's combustible backing, then exited out of the kitchen window to the exterior cladding.

Here in the US, all white goods have metal non combustible backs.

Is combustible backing on white goods still allowed to be sold in the UK? 

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA

Parents
  • Most white goods (washing machines, ovens, etc) still have steel backs here. They're often open to the floor at the bottom though, so not sure if a fire would be reliably contained, specially if it was stood on flammable floor surface. We'd have to check the product standards to see if there's been any recent change on that score.

There is of course a difference between non-metallic and combustible. Traditional UK surface mounted accessories are thermosetting plastic (UF) and seem to contain electrical fires pretty  well, whereas steel can conduct heat to adjacent flammable surfaces.

Plus of course, the UK approach to fire didn't rely on individual appliances (won't stop a chip-pan fire) - but on fire barriers between each flat. The cladding (and windows) were the primary failures that resulted in such a large scale disaster.

- Andy.

• Andy:-I assume you didn't listen to any of the early Glenfell Tower Fire inquiry meetings where the fire path to the outside cladding was identified.

One expert noted that he believed the actual ignition point was bad crimping of some cables connecting to the PC board. However the starting cap was nowhere to be seen.

Can I take your answer to my question as "no white goods can now be sold in the UK if they have a combustible back"? 

Roll on to September 4th 2024 when the final inquiry report will be issued and the criminal investigations can begin.

Peter Brooks

Palm Bay 

• Can I take your answer to my question as "no white goods can now be sold in the UK if they have a combustible back"? 

That's not what I said - I don't know exactly what the current situation is. After the debacle of plastic CUs here in the UK, and the wording of standards, it's probably not a simple question to answer. There seem to be many classifications of combustible, non-fire propagating, flame retarding, passing glow-wire tests, etc etc to actually flammable. Making things entirely fire-proof is quite a challenge, that even steel isn't likely to meet in some circumstances.

- Andy.

• Roll on to September 4th 2024 when the final inquiry report will be issued and the criminal investigations can begin.

From previous incidents, a company or organisation will be found guilty of health & safety violations, and fined a few thousand pounds.  No individuals will successfully be prosecuted for anything, as they can all pass enough blame onto someone else.

• Roll on to September 4th 2024 when the final inquiry report will be issued and the criminal investigations can begin.

From previous incidents, a company or organisation will be found guilty of health & safety violations, and fined a few thousand pounds.  No individuals will successfully be prosecuted for anything, as they can all pass enough blame onto someone else.

Children
  • Hello Simon:

In the the initial stages of the inquiry a name came up about who approved use of the cladding material.

The person was identified as Sir Ken Knight who signed a certificate for the Grenfell Style cladding  in 2014..

Peter Brooks

Palm Bay