How to apply applicable standards.

Hi all,

I have a bit of an issue on how to correctly apply some standards.

The job has some heat pumps in a room acting as the secondary side of a heating loop. The standard BS EN 378 Refrigerating systems and heat pumps — Safety and environmental requirements, is what was put to me as a standard to try and meet. Which I have no problem with, reading through, all seems quite reasonable.

When I get to 378-3, section 5.6, it talks about a remote emergency switch, which needs to be outside the room that stops the refrigerating system, it also needs to meet the requirements of emergency switches of EN ISO 13850 and EN 60204-1.

Normally this would be fine, but the only exit to the room that holds the equipment is onto a public access area. 

So that opens it up to a lot of nuisance stops. 

How do people balance following the given standards against use of the system, when a part of the standard can seemingly inhibit the systems usefulness.

This is especially odd in this case as the stop would not serve to avert or reduce hazards to people or damage to machinery, which is what the emergency function is intended for.

The standard doesnt seem to allow for it to be risked assessed out.

I can stand to learn a lot more about standards and how to apply them, but how does everyone else manage when they come across the edge case that would make applying the standard less effective.

Mike.

Parents
  • further to that, and again without seeing the standard or understanding the exact situation, these are some things to inform that discussion -

1) Who is expected to operate the E-stop,   and when would they be expected to do so ?

Presumably not the local drunken youth coming back from a night out, but perhaps emergency services, or technicians coming in to service it or night watchmen or caretaking staff if there is a warning light on somewhere ?

2) Where are the things being cooled/ heated, where are the other controls and who has access to them - would there be a better place?

3) How serious would an unplanned switch-off be ?

Or one could imagine a double door/ internal or external porch or corridor type arrangement to meet the letter of the rules but unless there already is one, it might rapidly get a bit silly. 

Mike,

• Hi Mike,

1) Who is expected to operate the E-stop,   and when would they be expected to do so ?

This is a tough one to answer in a way, as the room is for authorised people only, you would think it would be for them.

I dont know when they would be expected to do so, as for a lot of the standard it is about more Toxic and harmful refrigerant than is being used in the heat pumps we are using, so in those cases, there are requirements for leak detection and beacons and alarms, but the ones we are using dont require those features. So knowing when they would use this switch in that case I dont actually know, as there would be no outward indication that it needed to be hit.

2) Where are the things being cooled/ heated, where are the other controls and who has access to them - would there be a better place?

The system is replacing the gas boilers for the site, so it will be doing both Domestic hot water (DHW) and space heating, so it is acting as a second stage heat transfer onto the exisitng pipework that runs through the whole building.

The control panel/BMS for the system is located in the same room, the interfaces would also be for authorised personal only.

As a threat to life, none existant, essentially the building would lose all heating and hot water. The hot water system has backup immersions, but if it stayed off too long, they would burn out. So really damage to equipment would be a worry, plus if it happens often there would be a worry of legionnaires' in the hot water system.

Thanks

Mike

• Hi Mike,

This is a tough one to answer in a way, as the room is for authorised people only, you would think it would be for them.

I dont know when they would be expected to do so, as for a lot of the standard it is about more Toxic and harmful refrigerant than is being used in the heat pumps we are using, so in those cases, there are requirements for leak detection and beacons and alarms, but the ones we are using dont require those features. So knowing when they would use this switch in that case I dont actually know, as there would be no outward indication that it needed to be hit.

The system is replacing the gas boilers for the site, so it will be doing both Domestic hot water (DHW) and space heating, so it is acting as a second stage heat transfer onto the exisitng pipework that runs through the whole building.

The control panel/BMS for the system is located in the same room, the interfaces would also be for authorised personal only.

As a threat to life, none existant, essentially the building would lose all heating and hot water. The hot water system has backup immersions, but if it stayed off too long, they would burn out. So really damage to equipment would be a worry, plus if it happens often there would be a worry of legionnaires' in the hot water system.

Thanks

Mike

Children
No Data