Electric Vehicle 12V Battery Failures

What is the problem with the common automotive 12V lead acid battery, or is the problem poor software systems that won’t black start?

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/electric-van-12-volt-battery-issues-persist-says-afp

“The fundamental problem here is that when an electric van is left unused for a couple of weeks, the 12-volt battery charges down and it becomes impossible to start or recharge the vehicle,” explained Paul Hollick, AFP chair.

“There is no choice but to return it to the franchise dealer and even then, it can often take weeks to resolve the problem.”

I am not aware of IC engine vehicles, even the most modern and complex suffering from these problems.

I know that ‘maintenance free’ lead acid batteries are prone to sudden failures rather than the graceful degradation of older style where cold morning starting would get more difficult but this appears to be to much standing load, possibly from the support systems for the main EV battery.

Parents
  • Excess "dark current" has always been a problem in vehicles, especially with after-market stuff, such as radios, alarms and dashcams.  Too much current draw runs the battery flat as it's parked.  Other cars have excessive consumption when the vehicle as active but with the engine not running, which can drain the battery just by opening the doors too often.

For some reason, EV manufacturers seem to want to copy ICE designs and have a 12V lead acid battery that's only charged when the "engine" is on.

Rumour has it that Tesla are working on a new 48V system, to reduce current draw.  I don't suppose any legacy auto maker would want to be the first to do that when they are so used to 12V.

• Excess "dark current" has always been a problem in vehicles, especially with after-market stuff, such as radios, alarms and dashcams.  Too much current draw runs the battery flat as it's parked.  Other cars have excessive consumption when the vehicle as active but with the engine not running, which can drain the battery just by opening the doors too often.

For some reason, EV manufacturers seem to want to copy ICE designs and have a 12V lead acid battery that's only charged when the "engine" is on.

Rumour has it that Tesla are working on a new 48V system, to reduce current draw.  I don't suppose any legacy auto maker would want to be the first to do that when they are so used to 12V.

Children
No Data