Should EICR be mandatory for all social housing in England?

Should EICR be mandatory for all social housing in England?
Some things to note might be
 (PRS) Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 required an EICR every 5 years OR change of tenancy.  I think most people forget the change of tenancy part.

Moving forward a lot of EICRs should now start to be expiring thus a new one will need to be issued after an Inspect and Test.

There have been noted cases when local councils have not done EICRs

eg

https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/news/2022/safety-checks-our-council-homes

More recently

Southwark Council statement on electrical testing of council homes

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/2024/jun/southwark-council-statement-on-electrical-testing-of-council-homes

As always please be polite and respectful in this purely academic debate.

Come on everybody let’s help inspire the future.

Parents
  • Probably recommend, not make mandatory, if as shown in the post below, if it cannot be done well enough at a suitable cost/ value point for those at the bottom end of society- where does the  money to pay for this super service come from after all ?

Presumably something else is not happening instead, and it needs to be at least as valuable as that.

In the mix to be cut to make way for an EICR are checks of hot water systems, gas fittings, energy efficiency and lead and asbestos surveys, and that's before we get to heating bills, and economizing on food and clothing.

As a society we need to spend other people's money wisely.

Mike.

• I beg to differ there Mike.  I think that social housing should be as safe as PRS housing.  An EICR is not a luxury item nor is Gas safety or is Legionnaires.

Social housing needs to factor in the build and running cost of these properties.  For me the running costs include the required safety testing.

• But even if we cannot afford, and already do not seem able to afford actually, to provide enough social housing to meet demand? There has to be a cut off.

I am not convinced that drive by EICRs do anything at all for the safety of tenants in private rented property ether, and I'm old enough to recall an era pre gas safe checks, when the gas related accident rate was about the same as it is today but the cost was not there - the thing that has really fallen in the last 30 years is the no. of fires caused by smoking.

Mike,.

• But even if we cannot afford, and already do not seem able to afford actually, to provide enough social housing to meet demand? There has to be a cut off.

I am not convinced that drive by EICRs do anything at all for the safety of tenants in private rented property ether, and I'm old enough to recall an era pre gas safe checks, when the gas related accident rate was about the same as it is today but the cost was not there - the thing that has really fallen in the last 30 years is the no. of fires caused by smoking.

Mike,.

Children
No Data