Functional safety - Which standard and what are their scopes?

I'm struggling to grasp the application of the concept of functional safety 

I think that I understand the basic concept - Where we are relying upon an electrical circuit/system we need to be able to rely upon the safety function proportionally to the risk

However this is pretty much my limit, I want to understand the scope of the standards and which standard applies, the BS scope sections aren't making things much clearer - A simple example that I have came across is with a ventilation systems, if a fan is ventilating an area due to prevent a build up of nasty chemicals, or explosive gasses.

Is anything preventing a system having two independent fans with users monitoring?

Is this required to be a functional safety system? If so, is this under the 13849 standard or another? What should the system look like?

Thanks

Parents
  • As Andy says this is a very wide topic however here are a few thoughts. I first came into contact with it via EN954 (which has been superseded by  ISO 13849). This had a fairly simple risk assessment chart and a series of control architectures to meet the different risk levels. This bought the concepts of dual channel cross-monitored systems into the general machine world. A safety equipment industry grew out of this with specific safety relays, interlock switches and monitored contactors. Various standards for reliability grew up around them. The manufacturers published various safety handbooks and guides.

ISO 13849 built on the requirements of EN954 with more detailed calculations and definitions, the Performance Levels and Diagnostic Coverage. One again the manufacturers published guides and handbooks. I have attached an older one from ABB that I have used in the past.

A lot of the functional safety systems, especially at the lower levels, are designed to bring things to a safe stop which is fairly easy. In some cases such as a chemical plants, nuclear reactors  or  aircraft things are required to remain operational to ensure safety. This will generally require other standards, usually related back to IEC 61508, and involve various multi-channel ‘voting’ systems with different architectures on each channel.

PDF

• As Andy says this is a very wide topic however here are a few thoughts. I first came into contact with it via EN954 (which has been superseded by  ISO 13849). This had a fairly simple risk assessment chart and a series of control architectures to meet the different risk levels. This bought the concepts of dual channel cross-monitored systems into the general machine world. A safety equipment industry grew out of this with specific safety relays, interlock switches and monitored contactors. Various standards for reliability grew up around them. The manufacturers published various safety handbooks and guides.

ISO 13849 built on the requirements of EN954 with more detailed calculations and definitions, the Performance Levels and Diagnostic Coverage. One again the manufacturers published guides and handbooks. I have attached an older one from ABB that I have used in the past.

A lot of the functional safety systems, especially at the lower levels, are designed to bring things to a safe stop which is fairly easy. In some cases such as a chemical plants, nuclear reactors  or  aircraft things are required to remain operational to ensure safety. This will generally require other standards, usually related back to IEC 61508, and involve various multi-channel ‘voting’ systems with different architectures on each channel.

PDF

Children
No Data