Functional safety - Which standard and what are their scopes?

I'm struggling to grasp the application of the concept of functional safety 

I think that I understand the basic concept - Where we are relying upon an electrical circuit/system we need to be able to rely upon the safety function proportionally to the risk

However this is pretty much my limit, I want to understand the scope of the standards and which standard applies, the BS scope sections aren't making things much clearer - A simple example that I have came across is with a ventilation systems, if a fan is ventilating an area due to prevent a build up of nasty chemicals, or explosive gasses.

Is anything preventing a system having two independent fans with users monitoring?

Is this required to be a functional safety system? If so, is this under the 13849 standard or another? What should the system look like?

Thanks

Parents
  • Although you give some clues, my answer is based as a generic response rather than specific to your quest. As said elsewhere EN 61508 is considered to be the 'mother standard' with all the others as 'daughter standards'. The 'mother standard' could be used but it is very complicated to follow and sector specific ones are most frequently more appropriate to use. I would also say that the first things you need to determine are (1) what is the market area (some areas, eg rail, nuclear, automotive, process) have specific recommended standards, the second (2) is what is the expected frequency of call on or use of the safety system (generally it will be classed as low demand [less than once per year] or high demand [more than once per year]. For machinery there are two standards that have formal recognition as Harmonised (for the EU/EEA/NI) and Designated (for GB) which although having formal recognition dont have to be used if you can show there is a better standard to use. These two are EN ISO 13849 part one and part 2 or EN IEC 62061. Generally they cover high demand requirements although the latest version of EN IEC 62061 also considers low demand. For other sectors the standards dont have any formal Harmonised/Designated recognition but still have very strong sector specific expectation of use. Process tends to use EN 61511, the other area standards can be found easily by web searches.

• Although you give some clues, my answer is based as a generic response rather than specific to your quest. As said elsewhere EN 61508 is considered to be the 'mother standard' with all the others as 'daughter standards'. The 'mother standard' could be used but it is very complicated to follow and sector specific ones are most frequently more appropriate to use. I would also say that the first things you need to determine are (1) what is the market area (some areas, eg rail, nuclear, automotive, process) have specific recommended standards, the second (2) is what is the expected frequency of call on or use of the safety system (generally it will be classed as low demand [less than once per year] or high demand [more than once per year]. For machinery there are two standards that have formal recognition as Harmonised (for the EU/EEA/NI) and Designated (for GB) which although having formal recognition dont have to be used if you can show there is a better standard to use. These two are EN ISO 13849 part one and part 2 or EN IEC 62061. Generally they cover high demand requirements although the latest version of EN IEC 62061 also considers low demand. For other sectors the standards dont have any formal Harmonised/Designated recognition but still have very strong sector specific expectation of use. Process tends to use EN 61511, the other area standards can be found easily by web searches.

Children
No Data