HV/LV - How to demonstrate UK electrical design competency with foreign resource?

Hi

Can anyone help me understand how to define competent in electrical design for an installation in the UK by an international resource.

We are a UK technology developer and have recently engaged with a foreign design firm for the electrical design on a UK installation. Although these guys are very experienced I don't think I can call them competent in UK electrical design if they don't have experience in British Standards, UK electrical design work or any relevant BS qualifications. Is that a reasonable assumption ?

I am interested to understand how others have overcome this 'competent' stamp ? through third party verification from UK competent person, training courses and use of software packages such as Amtech or all together? although academic qualifications don't demonstrate relevant experience in the UK.

Thoughts and experiences would be very helpful.

Kind regards

Chris

Parents
  • The way you describe it seems like a very odd choice, as I'd expect a UK company to be more familiar with UK regulations and practice, and in your shoes I'd be wary of a company that had no history of UK expertise acting as the final design authority.

So, I presume there is a very good reason they are wanted in this role despite this limitation.

To make it work, , I'd expect them to take on someone with a UK background for the task. at least in a consultant role, and to make sure that the folk they deploy have been suitably boned up  and know not just '7671, but the relevant bits of other building regs, such as fire and structural, CDM and  working at height rules, the interaction of IDNOs, DNOs and BNOs, ESCQR and all the other things that can trip up designers used to working in places where such things differ and avoid them trying to plan things that either

1) cannot be built or

2) cannot be connected or

3) cannot be maintained

apart from that its all plain sailing...

Given you mention HV and LV, I assume there will be private transformers, and that is particularly germane, as many other parts of the world, even the 230V parts, are very different.

Mike

• The way you describe it seems like a very odd choice, as I'd expect a UK company to be more familiar with UK regulations and practice, and in your shoes I'd be wary of a company that had no history of UK expertise acting as the final design authority.

So, I presume there is a very good reason they are wanted in this role despite this limitation.

To make it work, , I'd expect them to take on someone with a UK background for the task. at least in a consultant role, and to make sure that the folk they deploy have been suitably boned up  and know not just '7671, but the relevant bits of other building regs, such as fire and structural, CDM and  working at height rules, the interaction of IDNOs, DNOs and BNOs, ESCQR and all the other things that can trip up designers used to working in places where such things differ and avoid them trying to plan things that either

1) cannot be built or

2) cannot be connected or

3) cannot be maintained

apart from that its all plain sailing...

Given you mention HV and LV, I assume there will be private transformers, and that is particularly germane, as many other parts of the world, even the 230V parts, are very different.

Mike

Children
No Data