What parts are responsible for the millions of tonnes of metal waste across our manufacturing industries?

I am researching particular components in manufacturing industries with high wear rates.

Example industries include: mining and minerals, metal manufacturing, paper, food, waste and recycling, transport etc.

Example of components that wear out and need to be scrapped are: slurry pumps, crusher hammers, rollers, bearings mixing blades etc.

Please leave your comments or opinions of what parts, components, systems or processes generate large amounts of metal waste in our manufacturing industries.

Let me know what industry you work in and the challenges you face with worn out high value parts - Even better if you can share any data! 

Parents
  • What do you mean by scrap? Many metals can be reused with a much lower environmental cost than smelting the metal from ores.

Casting rather than machining can aparenty reduce scrap, but what is the overal balance

• What do you mean by scrap? Many metals can be reused with a much lower environmental cost than smelting the metal from ores.

Casting rather than machining can aparenty reduce scrap, but what is the overal balance

Children
  • Hi Roger, in this case I am talking about large metal components such as dies, roll mill rollers or mining / tunnelling equipment, crushers etc. These components are often multi-tonne parts that are replaced when worn out as opposed to being reclaimed.
    I am hoping to use this platform to reach out to a network of professionals which can provide some more detailed examples in the context of these manufacturing processes and industries, such as mining, recycling, waste, metal manufacturing, paper, plastics, transport etc.

Anything come to mind?

Cheers,

Alex

• In my experience many of these large components will be replaced when worn out to minimize downtime. They may then be sent for repair or rebuild if possible. Sometimes building up a worn surface by metal spraying/welding and then regrinding is possible, in other cases it may be difficult to reach the required specification so melting down as scrap is the sensible option. For example:

www.precisionrolls.com/

I have no connection with them, it was just the first one that came up when I searched.

The metal industries are in general very good at recycling scrap and have done so for decades. Consumer electronics and white goods are a bigger problem, as are Lithium based batteries and composite wind turbine blades.