What parts are responsible for the millions of tonnes of metal waste across our manufacturing industries?

I am researching particular components in manufacturing industries with high wear rates.

Example industries include: mining and minerals, metal manufacturing, paper, food, waste and recycling, transport etc.

Example of components that wear out and need to be scrapped are: slurry pumps, crusher hammers, rollers, bearings mixing blades etc.

Please leave your comments or opinions of what parts, components, systems or processes generate large amounts of metal waste in our manufacturing industries.

Let me know what industry you work in and the challenges you face with worn out high value parts - Even better if you can share any data! 

Parents
  • I would have thought that the bits that wear out and get replaced frequently (blades, cutting teeth, etc) would be relatively small compared with the overall machine.  Does anyone have any idea how much metal that adds up to Worldwide over a year?

• Hi Simon, UK Gov and Eurostat have some great data: Approx. 8mT a year of commercial metal waste every year from foundational manufacturing industries in the UK alone. In the EU this is worse, around 600mT. 
    I am hoping to use this platform to reach out to a network of professionals which can provide some more detailed examples in the context of these manufacturing processes and industries, such as mining, recycling, waste, metal manufacturing, paper, plastics, transport etc.

• Hi Simon, UK Gov and Eurostat have some great data: Approx. 8mT a year of commercial metal waste every year from foundational manufacturing industries in the UK alone. In the EU this is worse, around 600mT. 
    I am hoping to use this platform to reach out to a network of professionals which can provide some more detailed examples in the context of these manufacturing processes and industries, such as mining, recycling, waste, metal manufacturing, paper, plastics, transport etc.

Children
No Data