Planes grounded as mass worldwide IT outage hits airlines, media and banks

Parents
  • I understand that the problem with resolving this is that each physical machine has to be started in safe mode (do 3 "hard stop" by pressing the power button for 10 sec and restarting 3 successive times then boot normally to get into winRE then navigate to safe mode), then locate the faulty file and delete it.  It will need someone that knows what they are doing.

David

• I understand that the problem with resolving this is that each physical machine has to be started in safe mode (do 3 "hard stop" by pressing the power button for 10 sec and restarting 3 successive times then boot normally to get into winRE then navigate to safe mode), then locate the faulty file and delete it.  It will need someone that knows what they are doing.

David

Children
  • It's a little more challenging if the machine has an encrypted disk, which most corporate machines do these days. The security key needs to be known - which regular users will not have access to. You can't boot into safe mode without the key. Otherwise you would be able to bypass the encryption.

I understand if the machine impacted is an Azure instance (i.e., a VM) it simply needs to be rebooted about 10-16 times and eventually it fixes itself.

One news report said that just short of 9 million Windows machines were impacted. Which is actually a small proportion of the total, but it seems that those machines where located in some key areas.