How to prove electrical competence?

I work at an manufacturing site and we seem to suggest that members of staff are competent after completing an apprenticeship and having some years of experience behind them. 

I would like to break this down into topics, with evidence having to be provided for each topic, an example below. 

Motors

-Understand basic motor theory
-Understand DOL
-Understand VFD, invertors
-Star and delta motor
-How to test a motor.

Electrical drawings
-How to read panel drawings
-Understanding circuit symbols 

Of course this spirals into a huge topic which is why I though i'd ask what items would you agree are almost mandatory for someone to claim to be a competent electrical engineer/ technician etc.

Cheers

Paul. 

• Hi Paul

Don't forget to test for some of the Basics as well.  Eg

Health and safety like that for an ECS card

Safe isolation for single and 3 phase

Personally I would also like to see some Basic first Aide with some CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)

It might also be worthy to note that CPD (Continuing Personal/Professional Development) and refresher courses should be planned in for the current staff.  Eg BS7671 17th edition and refresh for the 18th edition.  Might be worth looking at something like Napit or NICEIC to see what there CPS (Competent Person Scheme) requirements are for an Electrician as a kind of guideline and choose some of the best fit options

Hope this helps to start some of the conversations.