kyron engine - if this is the future why is it not here now

this: https://www.kryonengine.org/

was 'sent' to me  with a claim that it was a solution to the worlds energy problems.

if something has been around for some time and no one has delivered it yet (money and profit talks to many) free to the world, it suggests that it is only theoretical at best.

why has no one made one, or maybe they have and it doesn't work.

it would be interesting to hear some opinions about the 'kyron engine' , as some folk think it is suppressed tech.,  as it would destroy the energy industry as it is.

so real or fantasy ... the kyron engine for  limitless 'perpetual' energy  ?

ps: don't laugh  ;-)

Parents
  • 1. Friction. Some energy has to be put in to overcome friction.

2. Even in a theoretical totally frictionless environment (e.g. an object travelling through space - although even that isn't totally frictionless) energy out cannot be greater than energy in. So if energy in is zero, energy out cannot be greater than zero. It has nowhere to come from - you can't make energy out of nothing. So if you could get this machine moving in a frictionless environment you couldn't do anything useful with it - as soon as you tried to draw power from it it would stop.

It's great fun believing that technologies have been suppressed, but actually if you look at investments over the last (say) 50 years you'll see that the dream has been to find the next "disruptive" technology. Practically it's pretty much impossible, more likely totally impossible, to stop anyone bringing out new technologies, but anyway those are the ones that investors are desperate to find.

But anyway the designs for this are all out there, so feel free to try building one. However spoiler alert...it won't work. 

See en.wikipedia.org/.../Magnet_motor

• I've no intention of building 'one' - doubt may others have any intention either and as I acknowledge, if it were a 'go-er', it would already be out there working ...  with seven or so billion people on the planet, surely it wouldn't be kept hidden away and someone would have solved it  :-)

oddly it may seem, I'd only just heard of this kyron thing in the last few days ! 

All that aside, the challenge is that 'we' are going to have to come up with something better than the energy sources currently existing to progress to a new future...    and who knows what's around the corner with freaky quantum stuff etc  -  and no I've no idea bout that area much either but it is weird  ;-)

Thanks for the comments.

• I've no intention of building 'one' - doubt may others have any intention either and as I acknowledge, if it were a 'go-er', it would already be out there working ...  with seven or so billion people on the planet, surely it wouldn't be kept hidden away and someone would have solved it  :-)

oddly it may seem, I'd only just heard of this kyron thing in the last few days ! 

All that aside, the challenge is that 'we' are going to have to come up with something better than the energy sources currently existing to progress to a new future...    and who knows what's around the corner with freaky quantum stuff etc  -  and no I've no idea bout that area much either but it is weird  ;-)

Thanks for the comments.

Children
  • the challenge is that 'we' are going to have to come up with something better than the energy sources currently existing to progress to a new future

Or make better use of the technologies we already know about? We have a lot of options now (and actually have had for many years), wind, solar, wave, use of hydrogen for storage just to name the obvious ones, and also options for improving energy efficiency / reducing losses. I'd suggest that many of the challenges now in applying them effectively are societal rather than technical?

Not to say that research into new energy sources is a bad thing, and of course it is happening, but there is so much we could do that we're not doing with the technologies we already have. It depends on us as a society deciding what we want.

I'd actually suggest that energy storage / transportation is the bigger issue at the moment than generation. Lithium type batteries were a huge leap forward but they are still limited - and pretty environmentally awful. Hydrogen is a very interesting opportunity, but there are still major technical challenges to overcome in its usable transmission and storage on a large scale (which lots of people are looking at). If I was advising someone on the most important area to move into to make a technical contribution I'd suggest looking at those problems rather than generation.

• The original Lithium Manganese Cobalt batteries are rapidly becoming obsolete for vehicles and static storage.  The new replacement is Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is more environmentally (and human rights) friendly.

Sodium Ion batteries are now a thing and starting to be mass produced.  They don't hold as much as Lithium Ion, but will be cheaper.  And don't even need lithium.  Alternatives, such as flow batteries, seem to be largely ignored.

I wasn't impressed seeing a YouTube review of a power bank using new solid state batteries.  They were Lithium Cobalt Manganese.  Which is even worse than the original Lithium batteries, given where cobalt comes from.

• After careful thought, reading and watching over some time, i'm not interested in 'man-made climate crisis and netzero etc' nonsense, or wind, solar, battery ev (as it is) energy  'solutions' -  which are/have been just a cash-cow (no righteous intent at all) and environmentally and socially ruinous to mention a few criticisms -  there is no debate or convincing me these are (at least for now) the 'way forward'  (or even should have been).  That's my piece said on that  ;-)

However I do have hope for hydrogen options and believe this the route folk should have taken in the absence of  anything 'better' ... and (rather oddly it may seem after my positioning above) backed up by small scale nuclear plant  (to help with energy for hydrogen production perhaps).

After that, there is going to be a need, as said, to come up with something much better  (new tech.) because 'we aren't getting off the planet'  otherwise  :-)