Harmonic Distortion limite and Neutral cable sizing

Please I would like to know what percentage of cross section area should my neutral cable be with respect to the live conductor for a total harmonic distortion limit of less then 5% at nominal frequency of 50Hz

Parents
  • I did wonder why this has not been moved to 'Wiring and the Regulations' as it's BS 7671-related ?

• Interestingly, the design software I use automatically provides a Total Harmonic Distortion percentage based on the type of load, which can be quite helpful.

• is your load 3-phase 3-wire, like most motor drives, or a collection of single phase connections? if the disturbing load isn't connected to the neutral, then it can't draw any current through the neutral 

• if the three phase 3-wire load has one of it`s lines broken, I think it would create an unbalanced load in the neutral even though ithe neutral isn`t connected to it

• if the three phase 3-wire load has one of it`s lines broken, I think it would create an unbalanced load in the neutral even though ithe neutral isn`t connected to it

Think again - there can't be current in the N if there's no N conductor. Loads can either be connected directly between lines, in which case there's just current flowing in two lines if one is broken - potentially with two of the loads connected in series between the two remaining lines. If loads are connected in star without a N connection, then the voltage on the star point will move away from 0V until things equalize (similarly some loads connected in series across lines).

- Andy.

Think again - there can't be current in the N if there's no N conductor. Loads can either be connected directly between lines, in which case there's just current flowing in two lines if one is broken - potentially with two of the loads connected in series between the two remaining lines. If loads are connected in star without a N connection, then the voltage on the star point will move away from 0V until things equalize (similarly some loads connected in series across lines).

- Andy.

Children