Source for standards

An easy one I hope, and following on a bit from my previous topic.

I'm about to be in a position where I need access to various standards for panel manufactur and design.

I have a reaosnable list on the go of what ones I need, but searching the internet to access them has understandably provided me with several diffferent sources. Some look more legitimate than others and som legitimate looking ones (like the BSI knowledgebase seem to only have an out of date version of one standard that I'm looking for...)

Can anyone recomend their prefered sources for these.

Obviously as a start-up, budgets are big consideration, although I suspect there isn't much difference in price between the different sources?

Many thansk

TB

Parents
  • The IET Library offers access to BSI Online freely to members if you can get there… if you have a specific item to research, a list of possible standards and time you might find it worth the trip.

Some local council libraries, also have access (often only from the bigger branches)but sadly the number of councils able to afford it is dwindling.

• Thanks and just to add to this you no longer have to visit the library as we can provide access to standards within the eight modules of BSI that we subscribe to as PDFs via email. If you email libdesk@theiet.org with your membership number and the references of the standards you are interested in we can hopefully supply. We are also trialing read only remote access (so you can read but not download standards from our subscribed modules at home). Please get in touch via the libdesk email address if either of these are of interest. Daniel (IET Library)

• Thanks and just to add to this you no longer have to visit the library as we can provide access to standards within the eight modules of BSI that we subscribe to as PDFs via email. If you email libdesk@theiet.org with your membership number and the references of the standards you are interested in we can hopefully supply. We are also trialing read only remote access (so you can read but not download standards from our subscribed modules at home). Please get in touch via the libdesk email address if either of these are of interest. Daniel (IET Library)

Children
  • Many thanks  , that's very good news. When you say "the eight modules of BSI that we subscribe to" can you clarify what this means to save us bothering you with unfulfillable requests?

Thanks,

Andy

• Hi Andy, the modules are GBM 14: Manufacturing Engineering, GBM 17: Electrical Engineering In General , GBM 18: Electrical Components, GBM 19:Electrical Accessories, Switchgear & Control gear, GBM 20: Electric Lamps, Power Generation, Distribution & Storage, GBM 23: Telecommunication, GBM 24: Information Technology - Software & Networking, GBM 50: Building Installations & Finishing.  

In most cases what we have available to us is the BS EN versions. We can also borrow printed standards from the IMechE via our reciprocal arrangement and we have a small collection of older standards in print so do feel free to send any request as we can sometimes fulfil beyond our BSI subscription. 

• And I see that on the BSI.knowledge page if you search for a standard you can see on the right hand side of the screen at the bottom of "Product Details" which subscription module(s) it sits in. Right, I'll be sending you an email shortly!!! Smiley

Many thanks,

Andy

• Me too, that is super news!

• Many thanks for this Daniel.

I've just emailed you to see if you can help with anything I'm looking for.