Is Broadcasting still relevant in the digital era?

Traditional broadcasting has been a cornerstone of media communication for decades, but with the rise of digital platforms and streaming services, some argue that it’s become outdated.

It does however still reach a broad audience including those who do not have internet access or prefer linear content consumption. Local broadcasting stations in countries across the world also provide local news services and community focused content. Scheduled Programming also offers structure and regular routine that some viewers appreciate.

However, unlike digital platforms traditional broadcasting lacks interactivity. With streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc you can view content on demand, receive personalised recommendations and choose from a vast library of content to watch what you want, when you want.

So is broadcasting still relevant in today’s digital landscape? Does it still serve as a vital role? Will it, or can it, evolve and adapt to stay relevant or will it eventually cease to exist?

Parents
  • I voted yes but maybe that's wishful thinking and rose-tinted nostalgia on my part (e.g. I'm an ex-BBC engineer and still have a level of fondness for the BBC in principle). Realistically I'm increasingly watching / listening to on-demand content these days - I know the programmes I want to watch and if they happen to be broadcast at a time that's convenient to me then fine, but if there's any conflict in times (however trivial) I'll watch them on demand instead.

I suspect neither of my (late 20s) children, both of whom are very media-savvy, ever watch / listen to broadcast media.

• I voted yes but maybe that's wishful thinking and rose-tinted nostalgia on my part (e.g. I'm an ex-BBC engineer and still have a level of fondness for the BBC in principle). Realistically I'm increasingly watching / listening to on-demand content these days - I know the programmes I want to watch and if they happen to be broadcast at a time that's convenient to me then fine, but if there's any conflict in times (however trivial) I'll watch them on demand instead.

I suspect neither of my (late 20s) children, both of whom are very media-savvy, ever watch / listen to broadcast media.

Children
No Data