Is Broadcasting still relevant in the digital era?

Traditional broadcasting has been a cornerstone of media communication for decades, but with the rise of digital platforms and streaming services, some argue that it’s become outdated.

It does however still reach a broad audience including those who do not have internet access or prefer linear content consumption. Local broadcasting stations in countries across the world also provide local news services and community focused content. Scheduled Programming also offers structure and regular routine that some viewers appreciate.

However, unlike digital platforms traditional broadcasting lacks interactivity. With streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc you can view content on demand, receive personalised recommendations and choose from a vast library of content to watch what you want, when you want.

So is broadcasting still relevant in today’s digital landscape? Does it still serve as a vital role? Will it, or can it, evolve and adapt to stay relevant or will it eventually cease to exist?

Parents
  • Hi Lisa, thank you for posting this question. I was wondering whether to respond to this question or not simply because I cannot write enough in a single post about what I have been doing in my various global positions just to help broadcasters, especially Public Service Media to serve their audience without any distractions from tech giants.

Radio over a century and TV over eight or nine decades served the public improving their services continually in line with technological advancements.  We had interactivity in Radio and TV for over half a century using telephone lines (just copper wire). Recent failures of big tech giants in their attempts to have live events show how robust and resilient our broadcast over the air is. When it is PSM (Public Service Media), they are free and have no gatekeepers.

We (Internal Telecommunication Union - ITU, HbbTV in EU) introduced Integrated Broadcast Broadband (IBB) technologies that enabled Freeviewplus in New Zealand and Australia too.  Similar services are in Singapore and, many EU countries. Using the return channel of the Broadband (the Internet) IBB engine provides interactivity. It has recommendations, alters, personalisation and many other features.

As PSM, we are now getting ready for to next wave when it is ready. New Zealand, we stream (live) all its three (linear) channels in real-time. While anywhere in the country, despite of weather we can receive high quality 100% HD (high-definition signal) the quality of the signal, for streaming quality depends on where you are, what time of the day, and what is your broadband plan. A person living away from Fibre cannot have high-speed or unlimited high-speed broadband access. We cannot meet the Universal access policy by switching off over-the-air (OTA) for them. Access to information is a human right. The UK introduced Freely recently, a similar service. The advantage is four broadcasters got together like when we introduced Freeview DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) and Frewviewplus DTT with BOV and VOD.

You can follow my monthly articles on the Singapore APB+ online publication.

Traditional Broadcasting and OTA are not outdated. It has evolved over the time it is to be relevant.

There are over 28 articles that discuss sustainability, online-only delivery, convergence, spectrum, audiences, multi-platform, experience, QoE, CDN, Free-to-Broadband (FTB), discovery, interworking, digital divide, universality, accessibility, alternative platform, complementary platforms, IP, network agnostic, television4all, linear TV, linear radio, hybrid TV, Hybrid Radio, early warnings, AI, disinformation, trust, digital-first, FAST, disaster communication, UHF spectrum, media pluralism and information for all.

• Hi Lisa, thank you for posting this question. I was wondering whether to respond to this question or not simply because I cannot write enough in a single post about what I have been doing in my various global positions just to help broadcasters, especially Public Service Media to serve their audience without any distractions from tech giants.

Radio over a century and TV over eight or nine decades served the public improving their services continually in line with technological advancements.  We had interactivity in Radio and TV for over half a century using telephone lines (just copper wire). Recent failures of big tech giants in their attempts to have live events show how robust and resilient our broadcast over the air is. When it is PSM (Public Service Media), they are free and have no gatekeepers.

We (Internal Telecommunication Union - ITU, HbbTV in EU) introduced Integrated Broadcast Broadband (IBB) technologies that enabled Freeviewplus in New Zealand and Australia too.  Similar services are in Singapore and, many EU countries. Using the return channel of the Broadband (the Internet) IBB engine provides interactivity. It has recommendations, alters, personalisation and many other features.

As PSM, we are now getting ready for to next wave when it is ready. New Zealand, we stream (live) all its three (linear) channels in real-time. While anywhere in the country, despite of weather we can receive high quality 100% HD (high-definition signal) the quality of the signal, for streaming quality depends on where you are, what time of the day, and what is your broadband plan. A person living away from Fibre cannot have high-speed or unlimited high-speed broadband access. We cannot meet the Universal access policy by switching off over-the-air (OTA) for them. Access to information is a human right. The UK introduced Freely recently, a similar service. The advantage is four broadcasters got together like when we introduced Freeview DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) and Frewviewplus DTT with BOV and VOD.

You can follow my monthly articles on the Singapore APB+ online publication.

Traditional Broadcasting and OTA are not outdated. It has evolved over the time it is to be relevant.

There are over 28 articles that discuss sustainability, online-only delivery, convergence, spectrum, audiences, multi-platform, experience, QoE, CDN, Free-to-Broadband (FTB), discovery, interworking, digital divide, universality, accessibility, alternative platform, complementary platforms, IP, network agnostic, television4all, linear TV, linear radio, hybrid TV, Hybrid Radio, early warnings, AI, disinformation, trust, digital-first, FAST, disaster communication, UHF spectrum, media pluralism and information for all.

Children
No Data