Shock protection on luminaries

I know that other standards sometimes have different ideas about shock protection to BS 7671 (e.g. BC and ES lampholders having bare live parts). Does anyone here know what the requirements for shock protection (when basic insulation fails) for domestic wall lights - specifically the type supplied with a flex, in-line switch and plug (i.e. expected to be in-reach). I'm not sure which product standard would apply. My natural reaction was to expect them to be either earthed or marked as double insulated - but are there any other options allowed by the product standard?

As you might guess, I've been asked to fit one and it doesn't look at all right to me - steel fixing bracket seems to be exposed to wiring with just basic insulation at the back of the fitting, and is then in direct metallic contact with the dome nuts holding it all together at the front.

I didn't much like the idea that it was sold as retail but supplies as a kit of parts - flex had plug and switch fitted, but supplied with bare ends to connect to the fitting - nasty if a little one got hold of it and tried to plug it in... but that's a different issue.

          - Andy.

  • Yup trying to convert to double/reinforced insulation might be one option ... and if the the back of the fitting was my only worry I might go for that. One of the other worries is where the wires to the lampholder run through a hinged elbow (obviously intended to be moved repeatedly in use) - they're just two coarsely stranded fairly thin but stiff single insulated wire, (probably 7-strand and about 0.5mm² at a guess) with a bit of braided sleeving over them. I've seen the braided sleeving trick before on Class II fittings in that sort of situation, but as far as I remember it's always been over sheathed flex, not individual singles. Maybe I have an overactive imagination, but I can easily imagine one of those thin wires fracturing with repeated flexing and then a strand easily poking through the braid onto the metalwork.

    I was looking for a bit of ammunition about the actual requirements before I made too much of a fuss with the manufacturer/importer and/or deciding it I'm right risking upsetting 'er indoors by refusing to fit it.

       - Andy.

  • Yup trying to convert to double/reinforced insulation might be one option

    Only issue being, insulation + insulation does not necessarily equate to 'double or reinforced insulation', although 'insulation plus suitable mechanical protection (earthed if metallic)' may meet the requirements, such as insulated+sheathed cables.

Reply Children
No Data