German Standards?

Hi All

My son has just bought a house in Germany.  He wants me to inspect and carry out some modifications.  What are the applicable German standards?  I imagine they are not far from BS7671 and expect it's some DIN standard.  I'll take my trusty Fluke meter and get it calibrated locally just to be on the safe side.


  • DIN VDE 0100 series, is the implementation of HD 60364 series in Germany, in the way that BS 7671 is in the UK. Unlike BS 7671, the individual parts of HD 60364 are published separately.

    Whilst both BS 7671 and VDE 0100 are based on HD 60364 series, there are specific country-specific requirements that differ from the UK - for example no switching is permitted in protective conductors at all in Germany, whereas we have that for a few reasons (but with strict requirements for doing it) in the UK. These would be missed (and might be related to legislation in Germany) if you use BS 7671.

    Hence, it would be best to familiarise with the actual German standards. It's published in English too - but the cost (English or German) is €100s for the whole set.

  • get it calibrated locally just to be on the safe side

    What, to genuine German Ohms?

    Seriously, if your Fluke is in date, there is no point.

    You also need to bear in mind the German equivalent of a registered persons' scheme.

    mapj1 will be along in a moment to give chapter and verse.

  • There are significant differences in the installations. The houses are usually fed with 3 phase supplies which are fed through to high wattage systems, boiler, cooker etc.

    Installation is usually singles in plastic conduits with a radial per room or group of small rooms which also feeds the lights.

    The application of the zones in bathrooms is also different. This gives some basic information:

    International-electrical-standards-regulations.pdf (

  • And I suspect, no ring circuits and no reduced c.p.s.. Sockets aren't polarized, plugs unfused. The last time I was there they don't have ceiling roses like ours, but rather choc blocks floating from cables hanging down from the ceiling, a hook to support the flex and a slide up cover. They're probably in advance of us for RCD and AFDD requirements too.

       - Andy.

  • They have recently rowed back on the compulsory AFDD thing actually. It is a long time (~ 20 plus years) since I was out there, and the rules have probably tightened up somewhat, but at least officially only registered electricians are allowed to work on installations. The inspection and test is more or less the same, and now harmonized on 30mA RCDs. Of course sockets are allowed in bathrooms and nearer sinks than UK practice. In areas prone to lightening there will be a roof LPS.  In towns TNC-s is pretty common, but as you get out of town you will find TT. Both have electrodes or where appropriate welded connections to foundation steels - usually connected in two places to make a 'ring round' test to confirm that it has not rotted off.

    Christmas tree layout 16A radials in 2,5mm tend to do a floor or part of a floor, as lights and power combined, Only in commercial settings will lights and power be separated.  When I was out there 16A bottle fuses were the standard, but now I think 16A RCBOs  (usually with the MCB 'C curve' )These may be singles in conduit or in semi -flexible insulated and sheathed round.

    A ring or T and E with a bare earth would be seen as terrible sins, and our desire to see separation of lights and power in small buildings would be seen as overly fussy.

    As Roger says, expect 3 phases to water heaters and cookers.


  • Hi All

    Thanks for all the helpful comments.  I've moved in now and already been "outed" as an electrical engineer.  Someone has asked me to inspect a house they have just moved into.  Is there a German version of the EICR?


  • yes - and normally it used to be the case that the insurers wanted to see the results certificates, I'm not sure if that is still the case. Mike.

  • I have this version, I'm not sure if it is up to date. It states only for training and examination use.


  • That looks good Roger, and is not too far from the sort of schedule you would see in the UK. No ring tests of course.

    Being able to speak, or at least read and write in German is an advantage of course.

  • Genau