This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger

• Glad you liked it, thank you! smiley

And here's today's example of old and new joined together - I just finished this at lunchtime. It's my parents old mantle clock which I think they were given as a wedding present, which would make it 1939. It hasn't worked since the early 1980s - and was pretty inaccurate throughout my childhood. I've now fitted a quartz movement, the particular skeleton movement I chose involved an interesting drilling job over the weekend cutting a dead straight and circular 130mm diameter hole!

Cheers,

Andy

cce610a05381c33c6aeadd0b8a8a1723-huge-img_0188.jpg  

P.S. I feel I should add that they threw it out in the late 1970s when Dad was given a carriage clock as a retirement present - I rescued it from the bin, took it with me to university and used it as long as I could, and was determined to get it working properly one day - did take me a while to get around to it!!!
  • Anyone feeling withdrawal symptoms after the end of the latest series of The Repair Shop might want to check out Salvage Hunters: The Restorers, which is currently running on Quest TV https://www.questtv.co.uk/salvage-hunters--the-restorers.  It's a spin-off from the Salvage Hunters series, and is an hour long (give or take a few adverts).

• Yesterday I thought I'd better start my serious clear out of my workshop and various sheds (this is going to take months). One of the first things I threw out was an old washing machine motor that had been there for years. But I thought I'd keep the capacitor "just in case".

Tonight, the motor capacitor in our tumble dryer blew. And yes, it was 8uF

Sometimes life just works right smiley (If that capacitor had blown two days ago I probably wouldn't have even remembered that I had one!)

• Its great to see this discussion topic still running.  

I started clearing out our shed last week and turned up quite a lot of stuff that can be recycled or redeployed elsewhere and had some great ideas for upcycling to make some items for the garden.  A few of items that will present interesting challenges are:
    • Several pieces of microwave test gear 

• Radar jammer off the Ark Royal

• Equipment to test compasses on Lancasters 

My husband is a radio amateur and thinks he picked up the latter two items at a great little shop in Lincoln on Steep Hill that sells all manner of military and civlian radio/radar equipment.

• Hi Deborah,

You've reminded me that at my mum's house I've still got a couple of valve signal generators and a huge valve Avometer (I left them there when I finally moved out in 1984!) If anyone, preferably near London, knows of a good home for them I'd be delighted to donate them.

Cheers,

Andy
  • At around 10 PM on Sunday the toilet cistern in our apartment decided to start overflowing. With my English hat on I decided to try and fix it. in the UK I would have removed the float and valve, turned the rubber washer around and put it back together again. When I took the cover off there was no obvious float or valve, time for a learning experience. Closer investigation showed a small open bottomed float (at the back of the picture) but raising this by hand had no effect on the flow. Time to take it all apart, helped by the local isolation valve. After chipping off a few staligtites and carefully easing some plastic pieces apart I found that there was a servo valve. The float closed a tiny hole which allowed pressure to build up on a diaphragm that closed off the main water flow. The problem was a speck of scale on the float valve stopping it from closing. I cleaned to up put it back together and luckily it worked. Off to bed smiley
    The alternative would have been to wait until morning and call a plumber. If you think UK plumbers are expensive, try a Swiss one.

Best regards

Roger

cb23c9cad2ba4ee8170b79f56bf69979-huge-cistern.jpg

• An electrical based repair this time.

We had a couple of gas lighters that would no longer light. A spark was visible when you pulled the trigger and the gas could be lit with another flame but they would not self ignite. Dismantling them was the hardest task, trying to work out how to spring off the clipped on parts without breaking them. Once inside the problem appeared to be a buildup of soot and candle wax around the spring nozzle. I don't understand why the nozzle needs to be a piece of spring but that's what it is. A good cleanup, reassemble and ignition ?

055532abb9ae9881434daeed1b19b09b-huge-dscf0296.jpg

a6a2f6d803e2209d188a9ae61b3694bf-huge-dscf0297.jpg

4878b8cff76a0f1bfc773c0488db86df-huge-dscf0298.jpg
    f32ef3924941f96579c674ba584ce7f4-huge-dscf0299.jpg

Was this economically justified? Probably not, but they didn't end up in the waste stream.

Best regards

Roger

• The springy nozzle has a low-ish  thermal mass but more usefully and is a poorer conductor than an equivalent solid tube. This reduces the length of metal gas pipe needed before you are cool enough not to melt the plastic.

You find springy handles on oven doors and steam valves from a certain era too, and  the idea is the same, running cooler.
  • Thank you Mike, that makes sense. I was thinking in a completely different direction involving the gaps betwwen the coils allowing for premixing some air with the gas ?

Best regards

Roger
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Here is an old 18 volt torch with an LED lamp retrofitted :)