This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Incorporated Engineer (IEng) UK vs Engineering Technologist (ET) Pakistan

Hi / Assalam u Alaikum

I am registered with the EC as Incorporated Engineer (IEng) through the IET UK.  Now i am very pleased to inform all of you that i am also registered with the National Technology Council (NTC) www.ntc-hec.org.pk Pakistan as Professional Engineering Technologist (PE.Tech).

Four Years B.Tech-Hons or BS Tech or BSc Engineering Technology Degrees (attested by the Higher Education Commission - HEC) are the primary requirement to get register with the NTC Pakistan as the Engineering Technologist.  On the other hand, EC UK requires two years HND or three years Bachelors Engineering or Technology Degree for the title of Incorporated Engineer (IEng).

I would suggest that the EC UK should also upgrade the eligibility criteria for IEng as four years degree and change the title from IEng to Chartered Engineering Technologist (CET).  Its my point of view.  The Standards of other countries may also be compared other than Pakistan in this context.

Thank you.

Parents

• Nouman Abid Chuhan:

May i know who is the EC Rep at IET please.  Who can listen/respond us (IET Members).

That's actually a very interesting question, which I don't remember being asked before on these various threads. I assume the process would be this:

1. IET member raises this with a member of Council (details of all council members are available on this site).

2. The Council member raises it at Council, where it would be referred to - I assume - the Membership and Professional Development Board.

3. The MPDB would consider whether they want to make a formal proposal, and if so they would produce this and set it before Council.

4. If Council agree that the proposal should be passed to EC then they would formally pass this on.

I'm sure those who know the system better than I can comment on whether I've got this right - I'd be (academically) interested to know. Obviously any proposal formally made to EC by the IET has to be very well founded and evidence based. Personally before I made any such proposal to a council member I'd want to know I had the support of a significant number of senior IET volunteers so that I knew I had some chance of being listened to - this is not as unreasonable as it might sound, none of these issues are simple (as Roy sort of says on another thread: if they were simple we'd have solved them already), so showing that any idea you put forward has already been seriously peer reviewed is vitally important.

I look forward with interest to comments on this!

Cheers, Andy

• Nouman Abid Chuhan:

May i know who is the EC Rep at IET please.  Who can listen/respond us (IET Members).

That's actually a very interesting question, which I don't remember being asked before on these various threads. I assume the process would be this:

1. IET member raises this with a member of Council (details of all council members are available on this site).

2. The Council member raises it at Council, where it would be referred to - I assume - the Membership and Professional Development Board.

3. The MPDB would consider whether they want to make a formal proposal, and if so they would produce this and set it before Council.

4. If Council agree that the proposal should be passed to EC then they would formally pass this on.

I'm sure those who know the system better than I can comment on whether I've got this right - I'd be (academically) interested to know. Obviously any proposal formally made to EC by the IET has to be very well founded and evidence based. Personally before I made any such proposal to a council member I'd want to know I had the support of a significant number of senior IET volunteers so that I knew I had some chance of being listened to - this is not as unreasonable as it might sound, none of these issues are simple (as Roy sort of says on another thread: if they were simple we'd have solved them already), so showing that any idea you put forward has already been seriously peer reviewed is vitally important.

I look forward with interest to comments on this!

Cheers, Andy

Children
No Data