This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

BEng to CEng registraiton

Hello,

I recently graduated from Lancaster University with a BEng honours degree while working full time as an electrical technician in 2016.

My experience from high school includes working as an electrician from 2007 to 2014 and an electrical technician from 2014 to 2016. I also worked as an electrician in Australia in 2017.

I recently joined a engineering consultancy in February 2018 and they are keen for their graduates to go for chartership after 4 years, however im worried i will not be able to achieve this goal as i am not educated up to MEng level. Would the next steps for me be applying for Engtech then IEng and finally CEng registration? It is really confusing as people are telling me i need to go back to University, but i cannot really afford this option while working full time also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with what steps to do next for me to achieve CEng status.

Thanks

Ben

Parents
  • I endorse the last part of Alasdair's response completely - I realised after I posted my response that this was an element I'd left out - whether you're registered or not, the IET is an immensely valuable resource, and I always like to stress to people that the benefit of membership is a completely separate one to that of registration,  The more you join in, the more you will gain. It's especially true of the IET - I consider us to be lucky to be electrical engineers and so aligned with the IET rather than many of the other PEIs for all the reasons highlighted by Alasdair - there is a truly progressive ethos and a genuinely supportive approach that means it's anything but an old boys club, as could be perceived for some of the other PEIs.

I wish you the very best of luck with your developing career, but based on what I see already, I'm pretty convinced that you have the desire, the commitment and the dedication for that to occur naturally. 

Finally, I have to say that responding to this thread has been like a breath of fresh air, so much more positive and interesting than some of the jaded topics we often get involved in, and if we've helped point you in the right direction, that's immensely satisfying.
  • I endorse the last part of Alasdair's response completely - I realised after I posted my response that this was an element I'd left out - whether you're registered or not, the IET is an immensely valuable resource, and I always like to stress to people that the benefit of membership is a completely separate one to that of registration,  The more you join in, the more you will gain. It's especially true of the IET - I consider us to be lucky to be electrical engineers and so aligned with the IET rather than many of the other PEIs for all the reasons highlighted by Alasdair - there is a truly progressive ethos and a genuinely supportive approach that means it's anything but an old boys club, as could be perceived for some of the other PEIs.

I wish you the very best of luck with your developing career, but based on what I see already, I'm pretty convinced that you have the desire, the commitment and the dedication for that to occur naturally. 

Finally, I have to say that responding to this thread has been like a breath of fresh air, so much more positive and interesting than some of the jaded topics we often get involved in, and if we've helped point you in the right direction, that's immensely satisfying.
Children
No Data