This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

BEng to CEng registraiton

Hello,

I recently graduated from Lancaster University with a BEng honours degree while working full time as an electrical technician in 2016.

My experience from high school includes working as an electrician from 2007 to 2014 and an electrical technician from 2014 to 2016. I also worked as an electrician in Australia in 2017.

I recently joined a engineering consultancy in February 2018 and they are keen for their graduates to go for chartership after 4 years, however im worried i will not be able to achieve this goal as i am not educated up to MEng level. Would the next steps for me be applying for Engtech then IEng and finally CEng registration? It is really confusing as people are telling me i need to go back to University, but i cannot really afford this option while working full time also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with what steps to do next for me to achieve CEng status.

Thanks

Ben

Parents
  • Thanks Lee, perhaps this emphasises my earlier post  Ben, may I first of apologise for any conflicting muddle of impressions that you may have gained from different sources.

I could rationalise why a trainer might have said something like this in a particular context , but I have come across and perhaps even promulgated myself blush so many different “spins” or interpretations of what is or isn’t “acceptable” or “expected” that is hardly surprising if people are confused. Roy P has created another one here, which is that 5 years is an expected timescale for transfer between IEng & CEng.  I have heard another expert say perhaps 2-3 years and someone else "not under 40". Some people think that any evidence is valid whatever its age, others that anything more than 5 years old should be disregarded as “not current”. This post would be pages long, if I listed every different interpretation or difference in emphasis that I had come across in recent years.

We are probably all in the same ball-park, but what is an aspiring CEng supposed to do. I’m dealing with someone today who is an SME principal and long standing IEng. He sought our advice a few years ago about transferring to CEng. We recommended a work-based masters course which he successfully completed at a cost of many thousands of pounds from his own pocket and then applied for CEng. We decided that his work wasn’t “creative and innovative” or “technically challenging” enough to merit an interview for CEng. What advice do I give him?  

Some of the competences for IEng and CEng are identical or substantially similar. Which does rather beg the question; why does someone with a reasonably recent IEng assessment have to be assessed again on the same competence at CEng? The answer is yes because each assessment is conducted as a separate whole. IEng is not just “partial fulfilment of CEng” it is a type of Professional Engineer. As Roy P stated in an earlier post, holding IEng doesn’t change the process of any subsequent CEng assessment, although it should be considered as valuable evidence of achievement, which in the right circumstances could be very advantageous.

What might have been meant by the trainer is; that if you tell the same story (aka evidence) then you will get the same result (IEng). Some people don’t seem to grasp that you must address the different requirements of the CEng standard.  Assessors will not retrieve an earlier IEng application from archive to check that you haven’t “recycled” evidence, which is what I took the comment to suggest. What they would do, is to ask “what has changed” in the time since IEng was gained.  Even if something has changed, such as perhaps an MSc gained, the engineer concerned can still “trip up”, because they haven’t illustrated the different competences, A2 and B2 for example.   

I apologised in my previous post to anyone who has reasonable cause to feel misled or mis-sold to by the proposition of “CEng via IEng”. I have addressed this and related issues at length in other threads over some years.  As I said in my previous post some people in the UK-SPEC era, have found both working towards and holding IEng valuable, before subsequently transferring to CEng.  Unfortunately some others have had anything but a positive experience despite having successful careers and being of good conduct.  In mitigation the Engineering Council family is highly fragmented and relies heavily on voluntary contributions including academic advice, but members of the IET and others should reasonably expect clear and achievable pathways, consistent treatment and support.

• Thanks Lee, perhaps this emphasises my earlier post  Ben, may I first of apologise for any conflicting muddle of impressions that you may have gained from different sources.

I could rationalise why a trainer might have said something like this in a particular context , but I have come across and perhaps even promulgated myself blush so many different “spins” or interpretations of what is or isn’t “acceptable” or “expected” that is hardly surprising if people are confused. Roy P has created another one here, which is that 5 years is an expected timescale for transfer between IEng & CEng.  I have heard another expert say perhaps 2-3 years and someone else "not under 40". Some people think that any evidence is valid whatever its age, others that anything more than 5 years old should be disregarded as “not current”. This post would be pages long, if I listed every different interpretation or difference in emphasis that I had come across in recent years.

We are probably all in the same ball-park, but what is an aspiring CEng supposed to do. I’m dealing with someone today who is an SME principal and long standing IEng. He sought our advice a few years ago about transferring to CEng. We recommended a work-based masters course which he successfully completed at a cost of many thousands of pounds from his own pocket and then applied for CEng. We decided that his work wasn’t “creative and innovative” or “technically challenging” enough to merit an interview for CEng. What advice do I give him?  

Some of the competences for IEng and CEng are identical or substantially similar. Which does rather beg the question; why does someone with a reasonably recent IEng assessment have to be assessed again on the same competence at CEng? The answer is yes because each assessment is conducted as a separate whole. IEng is not just “partial fulfilment of CEng” it is a type of Professional Engineer. As Roy P stated in an earlier post, holding IEng doesn’t change the process of any subsequent CEng assessment, although it should be considered as valuable evidence of achievement, which in the right circumstances could be very advantageous.

What might have been meant by the trainer is; that if you tell the same story (aka evidence) then you will get the same result (IEng). Some people don’t seem to grasp that you must address the different requirements of the CEng standard.  Assessors will not retrieve an earlier IEng application from archive to check that you haven’t “recycled” evidence, which is what I took the comment to suggest. What they would do, is to ask “what has changed” in the time since IEng was gained.  Even if something has changed, such as perhaps an MSc gained, the engineer concerned can still “trip up”, because they haven’t illustrated the different competences, A2 and B2 for example.   

I apologised in my previous post to anyone who has reasonable cause to feel misled or mis-sold to by the proposition of “CEng via IEng”. I have addressed this and related issues at length in other threads over some years.  As I said in my previous post some people in the UK-SPEC era, have found both working towards and holding IEng valuable, before subsequently transferring to CEng.  Unfortunately some others have had anything but a positive experience despite having successful careers and being of good conduct.  In mitigation the Engineering Council family is highly fragmented and relies heavily on voluntary contributions including academic advice, but members of the IET and others should reasonably expect clear and achievable pathways, consistent treatment and support.

Children
No Data