This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

BEng to CEng registraiton

Hello,

I recently graduated from Lancaster University with a BEng honours degree while working full time as an electrical technician in 2016.

My experience from high school includes working as an electrician from 2007 to 2014 and an electrical technician from 2014 to 2016. I also worked as an electrician in Australia in 2017.

I recently joined a engineering consultancy in February 2018 and they are keen for their graduates to go for chartership after 4 years, however im worried i will not be able to achieve this goal as i am not educated up to MEng level. Would the next steps for me be applying for Engtech then IEng and finally CEng registration? It is really confusing as people are telling me i need to go back to University, but i cannot really afford this option while working full time also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated with what steps to do next for me to achieve CEng status.

Thanks

Ben

Parents
  • Hi Ben,

I am in a very similar position to yourself. I've done an Advanced and Higher Apprenticeship with the Higher apprenticeship involving a FdEng in Electical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Hull which was accredited by the IET with the apprenticeship for EngTech which I was awarded in 2016. 

Like yourself I have done a part time BEng (Hons) in Electical and Electronic Engineering graduating this summer from the University of Hull. My BEng was accredited for chartered with further learning.

My employer doesn't really endorse professional registration and I'm glad your does as your journey will be smoother. I have been working as an Electrical Design Engineer for the last 6 years (same length of time I was at Hull Uni) and have found the best way to gain skills and experience to match the UK spec was through applications knowledge and practice in industry.  I became an EngTech Assessor last year for the IET and this is also helping me prove many competencies towards the UK spec. 

I throughly recommend you possibly get a PRA (their advice was priceless when I applied for EngTech) and if you haven't got a work based mentor request one from the IET. Their support and suggestions on how to ensure a good application is brilliant. 

I have however just started a part-time masters. I see my journey towards charted as a long route over the next 5 years to ensure a strong application with my masters (part time in power distribution engineering,  accredited for the chartered further learning and finished in the next 2 years). I aim to have IEng in the next 18 months.  I see this as a way of proving my engineering competencies further than EngTech but also allowing me to further develop on to chartered when I am ready. I don't think you should rush through the chartered application process. It may take longer than 4 years. 

I'd possibly look at each  of the different competencies you currently have for both IEng and CEng across the UK spec and evaluate where you are missing areas and look out for opportunities in you job role to demonstrate them and log them in the next year or so. That way you can clearly see your route to CEng and whether it will take 4 or more years to gain the k&u required. 

I hope this gives you another perspective from someone else ineeds a similar situation. 

Best wishes

Natasha
  • Hi Ben,

I am in a very similar position to yourself. I've done an Advanced and Higher Apprenticeship with the Higher apprenticeship involving a FdEng in Electical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Hull which was accredited by the IET with the apprenticeship for EngTech which I was awarded in 2016. 

Like yourself I have done a part time BEng (Hons) in Electical and Electronic Engineering graduating this summer from the University of Hull. My BEng was accredited for chartered with further learning.

My employer doesn't really endorse professional registration and I'm glad your does as your journey will be smoother. I have been working as an Electrical Design Engineer for the last 6 years (same length of time I was at Hull Uni) and have found the best way to gain skills and experience to match the UK spec was through applications knowledge and practice in industry.  I became an EngTech Assessor last year for the IET and this is also helping me prove many competencies towards the UK spec. 

I throughly recommend you possibly get a PRA (their advice was priceless when I applied for EngTech) and if you haven't got a work based mentor request one from the IET. Their support and suggestions on how to ensure a good application is brilliant. 

I have however just started a part-time masters. I see my journey towards charted as a long route over the next 5 years to ensure a strong application with my masters (part time in power distribution engineering,  accredited for the chartered further learning and finished in the next 2 years). I aim to have IEng in the next 18 months.  I see this as a way of proving my engineering competencies further than EngTech but also allowing me to further develop on to chartered when I am ready. I don't think you should rush through the chartered application process. It may take longer than 4 years. 

I'd possibly look at each  of the different competencies you currently have for both IEng and CEng across the UK spec and evaluate where you are missing areas and look out for opportunities in you job role to demonstrate them and log them in the next year or so. That way you can clearly see your route to CEng and whether it will take 4 or more years to gain the k&u required. 

I hope this gives you another perspective from someone else ineeds a similar situation. 

Best wishes

Natasha
Children
No Data