This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Covid-19: Meeting the challenges through Engineering

I was president of the IET for 2016-17, and have been asked by government to gather practical and innovative ideas from our Engineering communities. So, please enter any ideas you might have in this thread that might help address and mitigate the Covid-19 crisis. Ideas might include digital tracking / monitoring through therapy equipment and beyond. Even ideas outside your usual expertise domain will be welcome. Now’s the time for Engineering to show we can change the world!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi All,

We are being slightly hampered by a power outage at MFH today meaning the server is down for everyone working remotely - but I have been making headway into collating a list of individuals who are willing to offer their time and expertise on this subject. Along with RAEng we are putting out the message below and coordinating where best to direct people to. The text below is being designed into a flyer as we speak so as soon as I have access to it I will circulate. In the meantime if you would like to be included on the list could you please let me know on this forum, along with your area of expertise?

Many thanks,

Kate-Zillah

Kate-Zillah Sharpe
    Devolved Nations Lead

----------------

Can You Help to Engineer a Solution to COVID-19?

An increased demand for medical supplies and equipment provides an opportunity for the engineering profession and manufacturing sector to contribute to the fight against COVID-19.
    More than 60 companies have already responded to the Prime Minister’s call for 3D-printing capabilities to tackle the shortage of ventilators, but the engineering community is ideally placed to do more.
    If your company has the capability to divert production to components that could be used in ventilators or has the following skills of design/specification; rapid prototyping; contract/product assembly; certification/regulation/testing; logistics or medical training please register via the Government website at: https://ventilator.herokuapp.com/

If you are an Engineer wondering how you can support the fight against COVID-19 on an individual basis - we can help! Please email your contact details and area of expertise to SEP@theiet.org and we will ensure that your interest is passed on to the relevant organisation.

• BEIS has published a minimum specification for ventilators today. It still doesn't say what components are required and by whom, but it is certainly valuable if considering starting manufacture:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-ventilator-supply-specification/rapidly-manufactured-ventilator-system-specification
  • (Current chair of the IET healthcare technologies network here.) It seems to me there are 3 broad themes here:
    1. On ventilator design/manufacturing, and 3D printing of parts and equipment. Clearly lots can, and is, being done here but the regulatory challenges are very significant and (personally I think there is a long way to go on the regulatory side). Clearly there is also a need for leadership in this space, and coordinating projects. We don't need 100 different open source ventilator designs, that effort could be better spent on refining and testing a few. (>1 is needed for redundancy and to have separate supply chains.)

• Mobile phone based tracking of people, movement and cases; easier reporting and similar. To my understanding this has worked very well in some Asian countries, but raises significant questions on privacy and what people will accept. (AI modelling of the spread and likely infection routes, prediction of infection risk on a per-person/site basis, likely comes in here too, although is likely well covered by the epidemiologists.)

• Support for Medical Physics. The shortage of engineers in the NHS is known already (~10,000 IIRC but don't quote me), and the IET/IPEM/IMechE already had on the radar from before this a campaign to highlight this shortage. It's only ever the shortage of nurses that is mentioned in the media. To me, this is both the least mentioned in the media and elsewhere (it is in the thread already) and is likely the easiest to actually do. In principle honorary contracts and emergency basic training on 1/2 tasks can be done very quickly. Engineers on the ground are going to be critical in terms of actually keeping the infrastructure going. 

• Concept - Portable respiratory support for emergency situations – Can SCUBA diving kit be easily adapted to provide it?

This is an idea we've been looking at with and Engineer / Scuba Diver. I appreciate that it may not be the first port of call but we see it is as a possible solution should care and mass recovery be moved to non-hospital situations, possibly without impacting existing supply chains.

Dear Colleague,

I am looking to see if you, or someone you know may have any ideas, feedback, or support on the attached idea for emergency respiratory support systems.
    Covid-19 is causing unprecedented need for ventilation, even with increased manufacture will demand be met?  If hospitals are at capacity improvised sites may need to be used, without plumbed oxygen. While we may not be at the point to need to think quite this laterally –we may yet reach it. There are 3 levels of respiratory support solution discussed, and while they may not currently be suitable for a hospital, they may be ideas which could prove useful in extreme or mass recovery situations (e.g. use of Stadiums to house patients). It should also not impact existing supply lines. If not for this virus - then the next where solutions that could call in civilian equipment & hold a library of designs for manufacture could prove vital.
    Please take a moment to review the attached summary and supporting information, and respond with your thoughts. Please feel free to share it, as the aim here is to think of possible solutions, and work out if they could feasibly work, then develop them - which is why it’s being shared at such an early thought stage. In the hope that it may be useful to develop – or may trigger some ideas in others which it can help.
    Thank you for your time, and please stay safe.

Kind Regards,
    Susan Jones MEng CEng MIET MWES
    attachments.zip

• Jeremy Watson:

I was president of the IET for 2016-17, and have been asked by government to gather practical and innovative ideas from our Engineering communities. So, please enter any ideas you might have in this thread that might help address and mitigate the Covid-19 crisis. Ideas might include digital tracking / monitoring through therapy equipment and beyond. Even ideas outside your usual expertise domain will be welcome. Now’s the time for Engineering to show we can change the world!

Can IET offer a mechanism to match companies looking for additional engineering people at this time - i.e. companies stretched making /servicing ventilators and other medical kit? Appreciate the special skills / training required for medical standards; nonetheless I bet there could be loads of retired / displaced engineers who could prettry quickly come up the learning curve - for design, testing, manufacturing, documentation, sourcing, etc.

• In reply to the Scuba gear comment I came across this https://dgiluz.wordpress.com/2020/03/23/its-working/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0667Ij8TFgIxNf7JnO2Z3PO10gbmAEgefeT7N5nwgfEXO4Y4xc96DkOog

Hello,

Within the last week I saw a news item where the person being interviewed said that ways had to be found to source the electronics for ventilators. I presume he was referring to control systems. The thought  that crossed my mind was that there must be a large stock of retired or superseded mobile phones in drawers around the country. After all people are forever being encouraged to upgrade. Working on the belief that a smart phone is really a computer with a fairly powerful processor. If a call is put out for retired mobile phones to be donated to be used a control systems for ventilators, would this solve the problem? I have not thought about whether the android or IOS operating systems should be retained and the control system for the ventilator should be a single app on the smart phone.
    I have no medical expertise, but according to several news articles Covid-19 starts off as an upper respiratory infection, before later becoming a lower respiratory infection, which is when it requires ventilators and ICU care.

Other lower respiratory infections are caused by "inhalation of aerosolised material", "aspiration of upper airway flora" or by "hematogenous seeding".

So would it be possible to prevent the upper respiratory infection from becoming the more dangerous lower respiratory infection, by sealing recently diagnosed peoples Tracheas shut?

This would use an expanding seal, which has a tube through the middle to allow air flow to the lungs from a clean air source, bypassing the upper respiratory system.

The expanding seal and tube would be similar, in concept, to the plastic lid and straw that you get with a McDonalds cup.

If this works then it should reduce the number of Covid-19 cases that become the dangerous version, which requires ventilator support.
  • No need to seal, you would simply intubate the patient. Pass a plastic tube into the lung and pump oxygen in, this is standard practice
    Forgive me, I'm new to this subject.

Can a patient be intubated early on, before they need to be placed on a ventilator? i.e. with the patient breathing manually through the tube, not using a ventilator.

It seems the tubes have expanding cuffs, which would act as a seal to block the upper respiratory virus from reaching the lower respiratory system. (I'm assuming that would work, to keep the virus in the upper respiratory system only)