This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Times they is Worryin

Millions warned of power cuts this winter | News | The Times

Z.

Parents
  • I wonder from where they obtained the figure"six million" homes could be affected by power cuts. It would be more accurate to state that almost EVERY home would be affected. On a rota basis, not all at the same time.

If rota power cuts were imposed, an awful lot of consumers are in for a surprise ! There is a widely held and entirely erroneous view that the "vulnerable" will be exempt. Most people outside of this forum, do not understand that such power cuts are imposed by disconnecting high voltage grid feeder points and that everyone supplied by the interrupted circuit will be cut off. No matter how vulnerable or deserving they are.

A significant minority seem to believe that someone will be turning off individual appliances ! and that this person can and should leave essential loads on ! "they would not be allowed to turn of the heater in babies room" And other such rubbish. 

And as regards to CAUSE of the problem, I repeat my earlier statement that we should expand use of solar and wind power to the greatest extent permitted by weather conditions. We would still be vulnerable to natural gas shortages, but LESS VULNERABLE than when reliant on natural gas even in sunny or windy conditions.

The UK does have some very limited natural gas storage. This would last a bit longer if consumption was reduced by increased wind and solar.

• Or, are they able to switch off those with smart meters in a more targeted way>

• Or, are they able to switch off those with smart meters in a more targeted way>

Children
No Data