This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Times they is Worryin

Millions warned of power cuts this winter | News | The Times

Z.

• More information from E&T

eandt.theiet.org/.../

• I wonder where they're expecing to get the coal from ... as we have neglible amounts mined in the UK these days and global markets will no doubt be subject to the same pressures as oil & gas.

- Andy.

• My stockpile came from Columbia!

• I wonder from where they obtained the figure"six million" homes could be affected by power cuts. It would be more accurate to state that almost EVERY home would be affected. On a rota basis, not all at the same time.

If rota power cuts were imposed, an awful lot of consumers are in for a surprise ! There is a widely held and entirely erroneous view that the "vulnerable" will be exempt. Most people outside of this forum, do not understand that such power cuts are imposed by disconnecting high voltage grid feeder points and that everyone supplied by the interrupted circuit will be cut off. No matter how vulnerable or deserving they are.

A significant minority seem to believe that someone will be turning off individual appliances ! and that this person can and should leave essential loads on ! "they would not be allowed to turn of the heater in babies room" And other such rubbish. 

And as regards to CAUSE of the problem, I repeat my earlier statement that we should expand use of solar and wind power to the greatest extent permitted by weather conditions. We would still be vulnerable to natural gas shortages, but LESS VULNERABLE than when reliant on natural gas even in sunny or windy conditions.

The UK does have some very limited natural gas storage. This would last a bit longer if consumption was reduced by increased wind and solar.

• The big pile already beside the power station I suspect. When it's gone  its gone, but it saves paying to have it taken away.

Mike.

• We should also perhaps be revisit the decision to shut the Rough offshore storage field, and  how much it may cost to reduce the leaks that closed it back to an acceptable level.

Mike

Meanwhile for those wondering, page 17 of

ELECTRICITY SUPPLY EMERGENCY CODE has the rota power cut patterns that would be used

Blocks A to U and 3 hour timeslots, and 18 levels of disruption from losing just  3 widely spaced blocks of 3 hour  per week (level 1) to off 24/7 at level 18.

Perhaps 3 hours is enough for a quick CU swap -)

• AFAIK, Rough gas storage was closed not due to leaks that could be mended, but due to rust badly damaging the steel well casings. There was considered to be a risk of sudden failure that would be dangerous and also lose all the stored gas.

Repair is not viable due to depth below the seabed.

It should be possible to plug the existing wells with concrete and then to drill new wells into the same reservoir but the cost was considered excessive.

Increased land based natural gas storage is a possibility. Compressed gas underground in depleted gas fields. or LNG in above ground tanks. Both are expensive, attract NIMBYs, and are vulnerable to terrorists.

IMHO, the era of cheap and plentiful natural gas is over. Storage helps with any short term crisis but wont increase total supply, nor reduce average prices.

• Ministers eye reopening of gas depot to avert energy shortages | Daily Mail Online

Z.

• Or, are they able to switch off those with smart meters in a more targeted way>

• Have you seen the weather maps today? There is virtually no useful wind anywhere for the next couple of days. It could get interesting soon.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/