This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Mending Things

Long ago I started a thread on the maker movement and mending things:

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/20498/maker-movement-mending-things

To avoid the original being broken up in ‘tree’ format I will start a new one. Maybe it will survive in a readable format.

The minute set button on my 20 year old Radio/CD/Alarm Clock stopped working which made it somewhat useless. I don’t want a mobile phone by my bed so I decided to try and mend it. There were some buttons I have never used, program for example, so I hoped that the switches were identical and I could swap them.

The top was held on with 3 screws. The lead for the CD Laser safety switch was very short so it had to be disconnected to get the top off. A sensible safety precaution. Four more screws and a multipin connector released the switch PCB. A quick check with a multimeter confirmed that the minute set switch was faulty and the program switch was good.

A few minutes work with a soldering iron and solder sucker and the switches were exchanged. They were also used a PCB track bridges so I couldn’t just leave one out.

Plug the cables back in, screw it back together and test. Ready for the next 20 years

Parents
  • Those little switches are flaky, I have one in front of me now, on a small PCB as part of an intruder alarm system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, which is not good for false alarms! The alarm technician swapped the board, I put a multimeter across the switch.

Great to see you fixed your clock, but if the problem is deeper how would you do? I have huge difficulty getting schematics for stuff (currently looking at an APC UPS - APC are very protective). I may not be able to fix a mutlilayer computer PCB, but there was a time when most gear came with a manual and a schematic (my BBC computer did). No more, but I would like the manuals/schematics to be released once the item has been "retired" by the original manufacturer - after all, if they no longer sell or support it, why not? Would give us a chance to go a little further when the problem is beyond visible and obvious. Is there a proper movement/push for this? If not I think there should be.

• Those little switches are flaky, I have one in front of me now, on a small PCB as part of an intruder alarm system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, which is not good for false alarms! The alarm technician swapped the board, I put a multimeter across the switch.

Great to see you fixed your clock, but if the problem is deeper how would you do? I have huge difficulty getting schematics for stuff (currently looking at an APC UPS - APC are very protective). I may not be able to fix a mutlilayer computer PCB, but there was a time when most gear came with a manual and a schematic (my BBC computer did). No more, but I would like the manuals/schematics to be released once the item has been "retired" by the original manufacturer - after all, if they no longer sell or support it, why not? Would give us a chance to go a little further when the problem is beyond visible and obvious. Is there a proper movement/push for this? If not I think there should be.

Children
No Data