This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Mending Things

Long ago I started a thread on the maker movement and mending things:

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/20498/maker-movement-mending-things

To avoid the original being broken up in ‘tree’ format I will start a new one. Maybe it will survive in a readable format.

The minute set button on my 20 year old Radio/CD/Alarm Clock stopped working which made it somewhat useless. I don’t want a mobile phone by my bed so I decided to try and mend it. There were some buttons I have never used, program for example, so I hoped that the switches were identical and I could swap them.

The top was held on with 3 screws. The lead for the CD Laser safety switch was very short so it had to be disconnected to get the top off. A sensible safety precaution. Four more screws and a multipin connector released the switch PCB. A quick check with a multimeter confirmed that the minute set switch was faulty and the program switch was good.

A few minutes work with a soldering iron and solder sucker and the switches were exchanged. They were also used a PCB track bridges so I couldn’t just leave one out.

Plug the cables back in, screw it back together and test. Ready for the next 20 years

Parents
  • I am clearly in a minority then in thinking that armed with board layouts it is perfectly reasonable to grind into a multi-layer board to tap off a buried track a leayer or two in, and then fill the hole back in again with epoxy.

Not easy,  but possible on the dining table once the wife and kids are in bed.

the problem is the PCB layouts, and X-ray is not really a home option.

Mike.

• I am clearly in a minority then in thinking that armed with board layouts it is perfectly reasonable to grind into a multi-layer board to tap off a buried track a leayer or two in, and then fill the hole back in again with epoxy.

Not easy,  but possible on the dining table once the wife and kids are in bed.

the problem is the PCB layouts, and X-ray is not really a home option.

Mike.

Children
No Data