This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Phone line with Fibre To The Premises.

Fibre is being installed to my home in a few weeks time.

Looking at the options to keep landline phones and the number the only realistic option seems to be to get VoIP from Vonage with a telephone adapter box.

support.vonage.co.uk/.../Vonage-Box-VDV22VDV23-Telephone-Adapter-1041

There is an option of a “pensioners” landline deal for phone only on the copper, but it’s relatively expensive and may only be available for a couple of years.

So the first question is should I keep the “landline phone” and number, and. Is there anything other option I have missed?

Parents
  • I am pretty sure there is an agenda to discourage copper lines,  shut off the copper networks completely and remove all the kit from the exchanges. I would not be so concerned about that - glass fibre is capable of being technically superior, but there are choices that  have  made over  things like  the complete replacement of circuit switching - a point to point connection - with packet switching, which is more internet-like  and your message is not guaranteed to arrive in the same way, and a disregard for how to make it all work without mains that I think make it a backwards step.

Meanwhile, as I live in an area that will not get fibre for years, and is suffering from line-rot, I am trying to switch back from a combined broadband and voice line to  voice only, to find it is almost impossible not to get billed for a sub megabit broadband connection I can not use. ( the reasonable rate of internet now coming over the air from a nearby base-station is ~ 10s of mbits.)

Mike.

• I am pretty sure there is an agenda to discourage copper lines,  shut off the copper networks completely and remove all the kit from the exchanges. I would not be so concerned about that - glass fibre is capable of being technically superior, but there are choices that  have  made over  things like  the complete replacement of circuit switching - a point to point connection - with packet switching, which is more internet-like  and your message is not guaranteed to arrive in the same way, and a disregard for how to make it all work without mains that I think make it a backwards step.

Meanwhile, as I live in an area that will not get fibre for years, and is suffering from line-rot, I am trying to switch back from a combined broadband and voice line to  voice only, to find it is almost impossible not to get billed for a sub megabit broadband connection I can not use. ( the reasonable rate of internet now coming over the air from a nearby base-station is ~ 10s of mbits.)

Mike.

Children
  • According to that website I linked to new copper connections are only supposed to be available until this time next year.

We had a new drop wire earlier this year from the pole to the socket, because one of the conductors had snapped after fifty years or so of blowing in the wind.