This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Phone line with Fibre To The Premises.

Fibre is being installed to my home in a few weeks time.

Looking at the options to keep landline phones and the number the only realistic option seems to be to get VoIP from Vonage with a telephone adapter box.

support.vonage.co.uk/.../Vonage-Box-VDV22VDV23-Telephone-Adapter-1041

There is an option of a “pensioners” landline deal for phone only on the copper, but it’s relatively expensive and may only be available for a couple of years.

So the first question is should I keep the “landline phone” and number, and. Is there anything other option I have missed?

Parents
  • I am pretty sure there is an agenda to discourage copper lines,  shut off the copper networks completely and remove all the kit from the exchanges. I would not be so concerned about that - glass fibre is capable of being technically superior, but there are choices that  have  made over  things like  the complete replacement of circuit switching - a point to point connection - with packet switching, which is more internet-like  and your message is not guaranteed to arrive in the same way, and a disregard for how to make it all work without mains that I think make it a backwards step.

Meanwhile, as I live in an area that will not get fibre for years, and is suffering from line-rot, I am trying to switch back from a combined broadband and voice line to  voice only, to find it is almost impossible not to get billed for a sub megabit broadband connection I can not use. ( the reasonable rate of internet now coming over the air from a nearby base-station is ~ 10s of mbits.)

Mike.

• According to that website I linked to new copper connections are only supposed to be available until this time next year.

We had a new drop wire earlier this year from the pole to the socket, because one of the conductors had snapped after fifty years or so of blowing in the wind.

• According to that website I linked to new copper connections are only supposed to be available until this time next year.

We had a new drop wire earlier this year from the pole to the socket, because one of the conductors had snapped after fifty years or so of blowing in the wind.

Children
No Data