This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Adaptation to Climate and Population Change

Many pieces have been written on here by myself and others regarding climate change, how rapid it is and what is the cause. In a way this is immaterial, the climate is changing, has changed and will continue to change and we will have to deal with it. The world population will also continue to increase for the foreseeable future, we will also have to deal with that.

I have recently read Carl Sagen’s Cosmos from around 1980 and Bjørn Lomberg’s The Skeptical Environmentalist from around 2000.

Cosmos was written at the end of the global cooling period in the 1970s and the major concerns were pollution and nuclear war. Global warming wasn’t an issue then.

The Skeptical Environmentalist tries to look at all the numbers behind the various ‘scares’ of the time, pollution, food shortages, lack of water and disease. The very well refenced text shows that overall things are improving, life expectancy is increasing and there is more food available in spite of the population increase. Global warming is discussed with the comment that all the scenarios are based on the worst case predictions, equivalent to today’s RPC8.5. It also notes that the IPCC and other environmental bodies stopped carrying out value analysis and just demand change regardless of cost.

Where do we stand today after another 20 years? I will take this to be before the Ukrainian invasion as this has created a lot of changes that need to be separately discussed.

As I see it very little has changed. A huge amount of hot air has been spoken (maybe the cause of the temperature increase) lots of expensive global conferences have taken place for the not so god and not so great. Nothing concrete has changed. There are no real engineered solutions on offer. There are various ‘renewable’ energy sources, wind, solar PV and biomass which are currently unable to function without subsidies (maybe the currently increasing energy prices will allow self-sufficiency??) The intermittent sources also rely on existing thermal or hydro power generation when they are unable to supply which is a further subsidy.

What should we do, what can we do? As has been suggested on here before a good start point would be to build some more nuclear power plants using more modern designs with good load following rather than the older Pu factories, reinforce the electricity distribution system and improve the insulation of existing buildings. I agree with Insulate Britain’s concept but not with their implementation. Loft insulation is one of the simplest improvements with a good payback (maybe less than one year in the current situation). Why did Insulate Britain simply cause disruption rather than looking for the roadblocks (information, regulations, lack of trained installers etc.) and clearing them?

The governments seem to jump from one idea to the next with no real thought or planning. Diesel is Good, Diesel is Bad, Subsidise Renewables, Don’t Subsidise Renewables, Fit Heat Pumps, etc.

As a side thought would it be a better use of resources to insulate my house to reduce the heat loss to 1/3 and use direct electric heating than to just install a heat pump with an average COP of 3? Please discuss.

Is there a population limit? According to the data in the Skeptical Environmentalist as developing countries develop and become more wealthy the birth rate drops, maybe we reach 10 Billion people as a maximum. Can we deal with this? Just burning more finite resources is probably not the solution. Thanos’s solution is probably also not acceptable.

Lots of questions and lots of engineering opportunities to be taken up but I don’t see any real work being done. The IET posts various politically correct position statements but doesn’t seem to do any actual engineering. Questions that they should be answering are ones like:

If we migrate 50% of our transport to EVs how much new power generation is required?

If we migrate 50% of our domestic heating to electricity, either directly or through heat pumps, how much new power generation is required?

How much of that power is simultaneously required? Will people charge their vehicles and heat their houses at the same time?

How can we reinforce the local electrical distribution system without digging up every street? (Maybe feed the existing cables from both ends??)

Do you have any other realistic engineering solutions?

Parents
  • When anyone starts to talk about disinformation I like to check the details. What National Grid says here is perfectly true.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

If there is a gradual uptake of electric vehicles the grid will be able to cope. This gradual uptake however does not meet the governments decarbonisation commitments. It also doesn’t consider the increased loading of the grid to supply heat pumps. You can only use the free capacity once.

The other points seem to relate a lot to the US or don’t actually answer the question like Myth 7 and rural charging.

I also looked at your FB site. There is a lot from the Guardian which has a distinct agenda and editorial policy regarding green/environmental issues. I subscribe to the Guardian and hence know what it is like. It’s fun to trace some of their articles back to the source if there actually is one.

One piece that caught my eye for further study was on the relative fuel efficiencies of EVs and combustion engine vehicles. The piece you linked is here:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/evs-more-efficient-than-internal-combustion-engines/

Which I traced back to the source here:

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/08/electrifying-transportation-reduces-emissions-and-saves-massive-amounts-of-energy/

This can be summarised in a couple of diagrams taken from the article.

The EV has a magic number of 22% for the energy recovered by regenerative braking. This seemed to be high so I traced it further to a US Government website:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv-ev.shtml

This gives three numbers for energy recovery, City 34%, Highway 6% and Combined 22%. Although data sources are given (some are paywalled)  I could not find these numbers there. The amount of recovered energy is critical for Ms Kirks argument, if it is only 15% Combined EVs don’t look so good.

Conventional vehicles are also compared to the EV numbers:

What is interesting here is the influence of EV losses. If there is no energy recovery the coal fuelled EV is not much better than the conventional vehicle. Electrical transmission losses are not stated, but 33% sounds a reasonable efficiency for a coal fired power station which suggests that transmission losses have been ignored. If a typical transmission and distribution loss of 10% is included and the highway energy recovery value of 6% is used once again there is little difference between coal fuelled EVs and conventional vehicles. The figures are better for gas fired power stations as a higher efficiency figure can be used for combined cycle gas fired stations.

Any other thoughts/comments.

• Internal Combustion vehicles can be as efficient overall as EV's I agree and probably cheaper to run per mile. However, for city centres EV's are cleaner.  The recent bus fare cap in London is excellent as it follows Manchester where you can take electric trams at really economic prices.

London underground should also be price capped in my view in zones but better still cycle to work and keep fit.

• Appreciate the insight :) 

Yeah I know there's a lot of media articles in there, I find it's just the goto response for a lot of deniers. 

They won't take the time to read studies, but they'll read a newspaper article, so if the article is genuine with some decent enough information I made a point to add it to EVii. 

Really it's all in the spirit of shutting down the common problem points that get raised in social media, 

things like 

EVs aren't green, they're powered by coal. 

EVs aren't safe, they blow up all the time

EVs are a government conspiracy

EVs are a con because of X Y Z 

Often all of these come back to people using random graphics which have no basis in fact, EVii seeks to throw all that out. 

• Not from a maintenance POV, when you take that into account it's MUCH cheaper to be EV. 
    I'm sure I threw a post on this in EVii last week, about a Tesla Model 3 owner who documented his servicing costs compared to a conventional ICE vehicle. 

• Not from a maintenance POV, when you take that into account it's MUCH cheaper to be EV.

That makes good sense. I guess that the only servicing for the motor would be lubrication of the bearings, but they may be "sealed for life" which always suggest to me that the life will be short. Also do away with clutch and gearbox.

It seems that a new set of skills will be required, at least as far as MOT testing is concerned.

• it's less than that. Brake Fluid and Coolant Change. 

That's based on Tesla's maintenance schedule but the technology at it's simplest is similar if not the same for each EV. 

• Brake Fluid and Coolant Change.

Regenerative braking is all very well, but what form of braking is used when stationary (e.g. at the lights); or when stopping in an emergency? Fly by wire? Rods or cables?

• All EVs that I am aware of also have conventional braking systems as well as regeneration. Conventional brakes are required for several scenarios:

- Emergency stops. Conventional discs can absorb more energy in the short term than most drive systems.

- Parking.

- In case of failure of the drive system.

- When the battery is fully charged.

The last point brings up an alternative version of my mountain problem. I am staying in a mountain hotel. I have a long drive home so I want my battery to be fully charged at the hotel. As I decend the mountain my battery is full and cannot absorb the regenerative energy which then has to be lost via a resistance bank (you don't go down mountains using just the conventional brakes, they rapidly overheat). How can In determine how much to charge my battery to make use of energy recovery when decending the mountain?

The original problem is that I am staying in a mountain hotel in winter with my diesel car. As I decend the mountain I am not burning any fuel so the engine and hence the car are just heated by the frictional and pumping losses. How do I stop it from icing up again?

• Unsure in terms of topology, but it acts like an auto. So shifts into park and the parking brake is applied. 

• I mean depending on the EV the easy solution there is to never charge to your software limited 100%. Set it to 90, allowing for that regen buffer. 

• As I decend the mountain my battery is full and cannot absorb the regenerative energy which then has to be lost via a resistance bank (you don't go down mountains using just the conventional brakes, they rapidly overheat).

Ah yes, but it is cold up mountains so your heater will be on full blast.

Seriously, I have come across people who insist that they have an EV because they have poorly legs and there is only one pedal.

I don't like to be on the same stretch of road as such people.

• As I decend the mountain my battery is full and cannot absorb the regenerative energy which then has to be lost via a resistance bank (you don't go down mountains using just the conventional brakes, they rapidly overheat).

Ah yes, but it is cold up mountains so your heater will be on full blast.

Seriously, I have come across people who insist that they have an EV because they have poorly legs and there is only one pedal.

I don't like to be on the same stretch of road as such people.

Children
  • You mean one pedal driving right? 

There's nothing to be worried about in that sense because depending on the EV, the regen is pretty strong. I mean I can slow ours down to 5mph (which is the regen limit before it cuts off) using only the accelerator pedal. 

You still have the option of the footbrake if required (which 90% of the time it isn't), and with the collision mitigation braking tech in most vehicles now that further serves to reinforce the safety aspect.