This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should an electrician have an Apple or an Android mobile device.

Should an electrician have an Apple or Android mobile device for all the apps they are now expected to use, such as those for EVSE?

Does it make any difference and do equipment manufacturers show any preference?

Parents
  • Hi  

Well, from my own personal point of view I'd always opt for an Apple device Blush

Going from the back office reporting figures for EngX visitors, the most used mobile device for viewing the forums etc is the Apple iPhone followed by an Apple iPad. The next device on the list is usually a Samsung (i.e android operating system) but the device usage numbers drop dramatically once you get past the Apple ones. 

For example in our monthly reports I can see that there are 14,821 people who have visited EngX on their Apple iphone compared with just 403 on their Samsung Galaxy S21. Even if I sum all of the different Samsung models it comes to just over 1000 which still doesn't compare with 14,821 users viewing on an Apple iphone. These are unique users by the way and not 'visits'.

However, this is just going by what we see in the behind the scenes reporting for our online community and may not reflect usage elsewhere for other websites etc

I think it also depends on the app software developers though as some will consider Apple first as they hold the market share. Apps can also behave differently depending on which device they're made for. A colleague has an android and their version of the Facebook app is laid out differently to mine on my iPhone. So when I tell them that they'll find a feature in the app in a certain place, that's not always correct! 

I think most manufacturers will provide apps for both operating systems nowadays though so it all comes down to the cost of the phone itself and what else you want your phone to do for you. As I say, I'm an Apple consumer because I like the way they do things and it suits my personal needs. 

It would be interesting to see how many of us use which though so I've popped a quick poll in here: 

• I have difficulty with Apple touch-screens, but most androids no problem at all. Not sure why that is.

Second, and perhaps main, reason I choose Android is ease of integration with Windows laptop (which I have to use because some packages I use are only available on Windows).

• Going from the back office reporting figures for EngX visitors, the most used mobile device for viewing the forums etc is the Apple iPhone followed by an Apple iPad.

That is scary!

I had to get something to replace a fairly elderly PC three or four years ago - it had become impossibly slow. I chose an iPad partly because I needed to be able to type in French - accents are a doddle and you can even get the text correction to do it for you.

Mostly, I have been very pleased with it, but I find it rather disturbing that you know what I am using right now.

• Going from the back office reporting figures for EngX visitors, the most used mobile device for viewing the forums etc is the Apple iPhone followed by an Apple iPad.

That is scary!

I had to get something to replace a fairly elderly PC three or four years ago - it had become impossibly slow. I chose an iPad partly because I needed to be able to type in French - accents are a doddle and you can even get the text correction to do it for you.

Mostly, I have been very pleased with it, but I find it rather disturbing that you know what I am using right now.

Children
  • No need to be scared Chris.  The data captured is relatively generic and we couldn't personally identify any individual anyway! 

The behind the scenes data is fascinating and gives us some really good and valuable intell on vistors to our community. 

Going a bit off topic now but we saw a leap in the percentage of visitors using mobile devices to view the community during the Covid pandemic which has now dropped a little now everyone is back to working in an office. We can also see that our most popular day for visits is Tuesday too, and that activity drops off significantly over the weekend. This tells us that many community members visit us during the working week as opposed to the weekend. This is obvious of course being that we're a professional community of practice rather than a more 'social' one. So visitors will tend to drop by during working hours. Unless of course you're an Admin and pop in outside of normal hours every now and again to make sure things are still running smoothly... Wink