This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Chemical Fixings / Resin Anchor for horizontal holes

The bottom "hinge hook" of the type shown below has become loose in one of our driveway block-work gate posts, causing the hinge to move each time the gate is opened/closed. What I propose doing is to remove the gate and the loose "hinge hook" and re-secure by using a Chemical Fixing/Resin Anchor after blowing the debris and dust out of the hole.  I did similar on another gatepost about 20 years ago and other than the resin oozing out when fitting, it proved to be the best option rather than rebuilding the post.

My problem is knowing which resin to buy. I have both a Screwfix and a Toolstation 5 minutes away and they both sell quite a selection.  What I want is one which is sufficiently viscous so that it does not all run out between injection and inserting the spikey end of the "hinge hook" and it starting to go off.  Any experience here of which would be my best bet?

Many thanks

Clive

Clive

Parents
  • Another option might be to fabricate a little plastic or cardboard collar that could fit on the shaft of the hinge and be pushed back against the wall to restrain the resin while it sets - perhaps lined with a bit of soft foam in the wall surface is uneven.

Also I'd take care with the shape of the hole - if it's sort of conical with the mouth wider than the deep end, it's much more likely to come loose regardless of how hard the resin is - more wedge shape - wider as it gets deeper - is likely to last much longer,

- Andy,

• Another option might be to fabricate a little plastic or cardboard collar that could fit on the shaft of the hinge and be pushed back against the wall to restrain the resin while it sets - perhaps lined with a bit of soft foam in the wall surface is uneven.

Also I'd take care with the shape of the hole - if it's sort of conical with the mouth wider than the deep end, it's much more likely to come loose regardless of how hard the resin is - more wedge shape - wider as it gets deeper - is likely to last much longer,

- Andy,

Children
No Data