Chemical Fixings / Resin Anchor for horizontal holes

The bottom "hinge hook" of the type shown below has become loose in one of our driveway block-work gate posts, causing the hinge to move each time the gate is opened/closed. What I propose doing is to remove the gate and the loose "hinge hook" and re-secure by using a Chemical Fixing/Resin Anchor after blowing the debris and dust out of the hole.  I did similar on another gatepost about 20 years ago and other than the resin oozing out when fitting, it proved to be the best option rather than rebuilding the post.

My problem is knowing which resin to buy. I have both a Screwfix and a Toolstation 5 minutes away and they both sell quite a selection.  What I want is one which is sufficiently viscous so that it does not all run out between injection and inserting the spikey end of the "hinge hook" and it starting to go off.  Any experience here of which would be my best bet?

Many thanks

Clive

Clive

Parents
  • Thanks Grumpy.

    We did the job yesterday, the first dry day since I bought a tube of Rawlplug R-KEM II  They are quite heavy bi-fold gates with the hinges set at 135° to the faces of the block built pillars. The hinge that was moving each time the gate passed through 135° was a bottom one, so no pulling out force involved.

    Once I had got the old hinge out and cleaned up, I ran a 25mm masonry drill into the old hole and then blew out the debris with compressed air. 

    Looking into end of the R-KEM II tube after removing the cap, I could see that the bags of the 2-part mix were sealed with a wire ring. No mention of this on the instructions on the tube. Reading the reviews on Screwfix, it appeared that the intention was that the ring would come off the bags during the first squeeze. Some had removed the ring with pliers first. So, decision time!  I removed the ring, I was also wondering where it would otherwise go - blocking the mixing nozzle knowing my luck...

    I think I made a good choice, since the mixed resin assumed a constant colour after the first inch, so I did not have to waste too much. Even without the metal ring to block anything, it was quite an effort to squeeze the resin out. To make it a bit easier, after about half-way, I cut a couple of inches off the plain section of the nozzle. I used about 3/4 of the tube. With the temperature around 10 deg C I had, according to the instructions, 15 minutes 'processing time' and 1.5 hours 'curing time'.

    My wife had masked off around the hole, plus cardboard beneath in readiness, but the resin was not too runny and once the hinge was in place at the correct depth, I was able to smooth off where some of the mortar had previously fallen off with the hinge movement. (not with a licked finger! I used a disposable wooden fork as supplied with some salads.

    A couple of hours or so later, on went the gate and job done!

    R-KEM II sets hard, no hint of flexibility. Interestingly, I can this afternoon easily take the cap off the tube. What I can see inside is not solid hard remains, so I may get the chance to use the remaining 1/4 tube with the second mixing nozzle that is supplied.

    Clive

Reply
  • Thanks Grumpy.

    We did the job yesterday, the first dry day since I bought a tube of Rawlplug R-KEM II  They are quite heavy bi-fold gates with the hinges set at 135° to the faces of the block built pillars. The hinge that was moving each time the gate passed through 135° was a bottom one, so no pulling out force involved.

    Once I had got the old hinge out and cleaned up, I ran a 25mm masonry drill into the old hole and then blew out the debris with compressed air. 

    Looking into end of the R-KEM II tube after removing the cap, I could see that the bags of the 2-part mix were sealed with a wire ring. No mention of this on the instructions on the tube. Reading the reviews on Screwfix, it appeared that the intention was that the ring would come off the bags during the first squeeze. Some had removed the ring with pliers first. So, decision time!  I removed the ring, I was also wondering where it would otherwise go - blocking the mixing nozzle knowing my luck...

    I think I made a good choice, since the mixed resin assumed a constant colour after the first inch, so I did not have to waste too much. Even without the metal ring to block anything, it was quite an effort to squeeze the resin out. To make it a bit easier, after about half-way, I cut a couple of inches off the plain section of the nozzle. I used about 3/4 of the tube. With the temperature around 10 deg C I had, according to the instructions, 15 minutes 'processing time' and 1.5 hours 'curing time'.

    My wife had masked off around the hole, plus cardboard beneath in readiness, but the resin was not too runny and once the hinge was in place at the correct depth, I was able to smooth off where some of the mortar had previously fallen off with the hinge movement. (not with a licked finger! I used a disposable wooden fork as supplied with some salads.

    A couple of hours or so later, on went the gate and job done!

    R-KEM II sets hard, no hint of flexibility. Interestingly, I can this afternoon easily take the cap off the tube. What I can see inside is not solid hard remains, so I may get the chance to use the remaining 1/4 tube with the second mixing nozzle that is supplied.

    Clive

Children
No Data