This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Broadband network resilience to rota disconnection

With a real risk of rota disconnection this winter, I have been looking into UPS and home battery backup solutions (which would also enable me to utilise off-peak tariffs). However, I have been unable to find out whether the broadband distribution cabinets in the road have a priority mains supply which would not be affected by rota cuts. There is no point in providing backup power for computers and routers if the broadband network shuts down. I asked an openreach technician and he didn't know. Can anyone give an authoritative answer?
Since FTP services remove the old analogue phone lines - and hence the ability to make emergency phone calls - I'm assuming a high level of resilience. But FTP subscribers would need mains power to their handsets in such a case, so maybe it's assumed that we will use mobile phones in any emergency during a blackout.
Parents
  • I have been chuntering away for quite some time, I don’t think there’s any resilience in the new fibre optic system that’s replacing the copper telephone network, you will need to use the internet through the cellular network if there’s a power cut.

Take as an example the emergency pendants the old ladies have, they have to go cellular personalalarms.ageco.co.uk/.../taking-care-anywhere-4327

• Out here in the sticks, I have a pole transformer supplying just my property. When they nstalled a broadband cabinet up the hill they took a supply from the same transformer so when I'm off, it's off.

• My mum's got a pendant, it talks though a box connected to the phone line.  Of course, that means it will only work at home.

There should be ones available now that connect through the mobile phone network.

Land line phones are pretty much obsolete now, like fax machines and dial-up modems (which also rely on analogue phone lines).  I only use mine for freephone calls.  For everything else, I use the mobile.

• My mum's got a pendant, it talks though a box connected to the phone line.  Of course, that means it will only work at home.

There should be ones available now that connect through the mobile phone network.

Land line phones are pretty much obsolete now, like fax machines and dial-up modems (which also rely on analogue phone lines).  I only use mine for freephone calls.  For everything else, I use the mobile.

Children
No Data