This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electricity is in serious trouble- Gridwatch

Woops, not enough Wind!

We have just had some more come online, but frequency was getting dangerously low 5 mins ago.

• gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

• Not long now until the full horror of successive government incompetent energy policy comes to fruition. 2 decades of green nonsense.

That demand needle is getting closer and closer into the red.

And with not much spare gas stored we're probably going down...

• OK I''m probably 6 hrs behind, but I suspect a low frequency is more to do with the difficulties of being thermal stations online quickly when actual demand rises rather more quickly than anticipated, rather than lack of generating capacity as such. By the looks there's still an amount of gas fired capacity available (OCGT) and if we were in real difficulties we could presumably cut back on the 2+GW we're exporting to France.

- Andy.

• Wow thats a bit concerning I just had a look now 8:25PM and the frequency is just shy of 50 cycles experts to France are a out 1000 megawatts  so looks like the engineers have sorted it I was out from 5 till 7:30 PM( free beer offered )  so was doing my bit help

• How low did the frequency go  ? "dangerously low"  is rather subjective, an actual figure would be preferable.

• I see that we're currently exporting 1.12 GW to the French whilst importing 0.88 GW from the Dutch. How does that work?

Are we charging the French more than we pay the Dutch?

• probably - or at least we have agreed in advance to do so, and to fail to deliver would cost us more than importing. You can't help feeling an extension  lead direct from France into Holland would be a better bet - the market method makes odd things happen sometimes. On the map below it is coming in on the uppermost red one  into the south of England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BritNed

and going out on the south one, so its not a huge detour, but the DC- AC-DC conversion is a waste of a few %

Mike

• It's a market, so buying and selling as a commodity. Someone's making a profit.

This is where it all goes wrong as energy is not a commodity its a fundamental necessity for life.

• But so is food.  And you have to buy that from whoever is selling it.

• But you can choose your food.