Can patient safety me managed without process management in a healthcare settin?

Things like a desk top risk assessment of a healthcare process requires a degree of process documentation. Certainly issue investigations like root cause anallysis will need detailed process knowledge bets gained via process ducumentation. The aviation industry have documented safety management systems; do such systems exist in healthcare?

Parents
  • Absolutely - Stuart Harrison (former NHS Digital Head of Clinical Safety), Standards expert and member of the IET Healthcare Sector Panel is worth talking to www.ethos.co.im/.../

• Peter, Thanks for your reply. Are you agreeing with me or can the NHS do without process management? I'm really keen on digital and BS EN ISO 13940 - health informatics. The standard has a good section on healthcare process but it's a long way from healthcare practice. I've spent the last 6 years trying to make a change. I'd like to play a bigger part in the activities of this SIG.

• I'm saying they do: we had a great example of this in the context of surgery as part of the TPN Healthcare Lecture a couple of years back. But I will absolutely defer to Stuart who is both expert and passionate on this topic: let me know if you need support connecting with him

• Thanks again Peter. I'm on the ethos web site now and will contact Stuart.

• Peter,

I've had a great response from Stuart and we are meeting up in the next couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to the meeting. I've been pushing for the NHS to adopt Quality Management. See my latest blog here https://q.health.org.uk/blog-post/applying-jurans-trilogy-in-the-nhs/ I would dearly like the IET to join with me in this quest. To that end I have been trying to become more involved with the IET healthcare group via Gemma. I have had a bit to do with Nury in the past. The NHS is in such a mess that something has got to change. After 6 years of research  I have concluded that quality management  could be the only solution. I'm sure that Stuart has some interesting ideas in this area also.

Regards

Tom

• Peter,

I've had a great response from Stuart and we are meeting up in the next couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to the meeting. I've been pushing for the NHS to adopt Quality Management. See my latest blog here https://q.health.org.uk/blog-post/applying-jurans-trilogy-in-the-nhs/ I would dearly like the IET to join with me in this quest. To that end I have been trying to become more involved with the IET healthcare group via Gemma. I have had a bit to do with Nury in the past. The NHS is in such a mess that something has got to change. After 6 years of research  I have concluded that quality management  could be the only solution. I'm sure that Stuart has some interesting ideas in this area also.

Regards

Tom

Children